Chapter 12

Another week passes and Claude D'Argent calls me, Alfred, and Emil to his office, giving us permission to tour around the capital. We all gather in his office, sitting around his desk.

"I think it's about time to have Mireille formally present herself before Vita and Dauus, so stop by the cathedral while you're in the capital. I've already reserved a time" Claude D'Argent says as he flips through his papers. "Remember to present yourself with your full name."

I simply nod thinking nothing of it. Mireille D'Argent. Easy right? Al simply leans over and whispers, "He means your entire name."

I nod, "Mhm. Mireille D'Argent." I watch as Emil and Claude D'Argent seem to smile for no reason. "What?"

"Mireille, that's just your common name." Emil points out.

But I can only shake my head in confusion. "I don't get it."

Claude D'Argent sits up smiling like he's just seen the most ridiculous thing in the world, "your full name is Mireille Seraphina Ritre Argent de Lysithea."

And I blink in confusion with an awkward smile plastered across my face. "Uncle... Can you say that again?" What is this name, composed of like a gazillion words for no fucking reason.

"Mireille Seraphina Ritre Argent de Lysithea." Alfred sighs, leaning back into his chair while crossing his arms. "All of our full names are so incredibly long they could be considered unholy at this point."

Claude D'Argent quickly shoots a glare at Al, clearly telling him to correct his behavior. But Al only glares back, creating a stiff atmosphere in the room.

Emil spirals into a panic and tries to alleviate the atmosphere by changing the subject. "Well, that aside, I'm sure it'll be a good trip into the capital."

"Yes, do take care and have fun. Let Reuben follow you into the city and get a few other knights if you want." Claude D'Argent continues through his paperwork.

Emil, Al, and I all leave his office and depart into the city. In the carriage I ask Al, "Since when did I have an ENTIRE middle name that no one told me about?"

"I mean technically you always had it... It was just a pain to mention it. And!! I told you all of the Argent's name are stupidly long, except for mother and Aunt Iris."

"Why?"

Emil joins in on our conversation, "Well you know about how each of the five pillar families hold equal political power and how the Royal family is only on the throne because they handle Lysithea's internal affairs?"

Al showed a bit of displeasure since he remembered Emil is here as well, but I ignored him and nodded.

"Well that bit explains why we all have 'de Lysithea' in our names as the five pillar families are all essentially Royalty." He continues. "Then either the name 'Ritre' or 'Imor' is bestowed upon the child of the five pillar families based on gender. Finally, the parents of the child choose a middle name and the family name the specific family is put between 'Ritre' or 'Imor,' and 'de Lysithea. But since Aunt Cordelia and my mother married into the family they are allowed to take the family name 'Argent' but will not be bestowed the name 'Ritre' of ' de Lysithea.' Unless you are of the main bloodline of one of one of the five pillar families, you will not be given the names 'Ritre' or 'Imor' or 'de Lysithea.'"

"In addition to that all families have their own 'common names' where you don't need to memorize someone's full name. They're really only for official ceremonies anyway."  Al sighed, leaning onto the window of the carriage.

"Emil's full name is Emil Matthias Imor Argent de Lysithea and mine is Alfred Gaile Imor Argent de Lysithea."

Al pouts, throwing a tantrum. After all, it seemed Al had a sort of innate hate for Emil and the twins take the initiative of avoiding him. "Remember to say your full name. Don't say your common name."