Chapter 17

Roy Aizen, the founder and headmaster of the academy, stood upon the stage of the school auditorium, doing a welcome speech for the new students. He saw it as a bother, for the speech was only for the sake of formality. He had originally intended to pass the speech off to another member of the staff, but had been caught before he could put his plan into action.

Meanwhile, Mireille D'Argent sat in the audience in the best seat of the auditorium. You see, social status at the academy didn't matter. What mattered was magical ability and ranks within the academy's system. Mireille had gotten her acceptance letter two weeks earlier, it had her two ranks. First there was her rank within her grade, the second was her rank within the entire academy.

Generally speaking the academy had about 7 000 students each year. About 2000 in the first years, about 1000 for all the other grades. This is because anyone with a academy-wide rank under 6000 had to drop out, no matter what grade you were in. Since the first years were less experienced, more times then not it was them who dropped out. Anyway, Mireille's rank?

Grade Rank: 1st

Academy-Wide Rank: 5000th

So yeah, the higher your rank, the better your privileges.

After the speech the students dispersed and went off to their own classes, some went to check the exam results of others as they were posted in the main hall. Which is exactly what Kian la Reial did. His grade rank was 2nd, meaning the person who beat him had probably aced the written portion of the exam as well. He went up to the main hall, it was quite crowded, and Kian had to look from afar. Sure enough, the first ranked person had aced both the practical and written exam.

Their name? Mireille D'Argent. His eyes widened as he read the name. The famous Mireille D'Argent. The sickly child of Argent family, a member of the five pillar families. Very few personally knew the young lady, she rarely showed her face in public due to her weak constitution and is said to unsocial and disinterested in the affairs of high society.

Like others, Kian hadn't the slightest idea as to how she looked like. He thought of the signature Argent look. Silver hair, green eyes. But immediately shook the idea out of his head. Of all of this generation's children, only Emil D'Argent had silver hair, but he did not have green eyes.

Soon the boy gave up. He would meet the girl sooner or later anyway. Classes were made according to rank so there would be no doubt that they would be in the same class.

The boy made his way to class but his attention was drawn away to the tree where he had met the girl from before. Before long he had already found his way through the maze of bushes and into the center of the maze. He look up into the tree and there she was. There she was. Curled up in a ball, reading.

They boy quickly painted his eyes once more, a stunning violet to mellow blue. "Hey!" He called out, waving in excitement.

The girl looked up from her book, "Hey, I haven't seen you since exam day. I hope you're alright." She smiles as she hops out of the tree.

Th boy blushed awkwardly, remembering the embarrassing incident. "Yeah... Thanks to you."

The two took notice of the time and started back to their classes as they spoke. But then came a foreign princess. Though they number in few, there were human nations other than the Kingdom of Lysithea. However Lysithea was unrivaled in power for a human nation. It had the largest population of a million, and it's history was long standing. It was one of the few human organizations that hadn't fallen before 1000 years of existence.

The girl who had stopped the pair was awfully audacious. Ena li Vantair. The 3rd princess of Vantair was brought up spoiled, and rotten to the core. Like most girls her age, she lacked the air of elegance that should surround noble women. "Prince Kian," the girl curtised, acting shy and coy.