Chapter 27

"MIREILLE!" Alfred pounced into a bear hug with his little sister. "Have you been well these past two days?"

"It's only been two days, Al. I haven't died yet." She said releasing herself from her brother's grip. "Sorry they didn't let me out of the dorm 'til today 'cuz I wasn't in the best shape."

"As long as you're alright."

Mireille quickly split off from the rest of the Black Collars and went with her brother. She went off about her day like a little kid. She told him about going out to Asphodel Fields and all the weird creatures she saw.

As time passed, Cassandra and Elaine had finally successfully tracked down Mireille.

"Mireille!" The two waved as they ran up to her. The three began tell each other about their days. Alfred, who was now left at the side of the conversation was astonished at the pace in which the three exchanged information and gossip. He made a mental note to never mess with these girls, no, all girls who gossip, for the dear of horrible false rumors circulating.

Time passed quickly as the girls talked and soon it was nearing curfew. They waved as they departed and Alfred sent Mireille back to her dorm. He patted his little sister's head and told her to contact him if she needed anything.

When Mireille got back up to her floor she was greeted by Fianna MacLaine. "Sheesh, couldn't have taken you any longer to get back now, couldn't it?"

Mireille pouted a little bit. Frankly, she was done with this girl's shit. "Did you need something from me?"

"As the one of the only other girls on this floor, I've been assigned the role of teaching you the rules here! Yet you came back incredibly late! Do you think you can do this just 'cause you're apart of the five pillars?"

Mireille shrugged as she walked off to her room to put away her things. "Sorry, but Donovan already told me the rules when I first moved in. I think the others were screwing with you, Fianna."

Fianna stalked off into the living room where the rest of her dorm mates were. "You guys lied."

"Well, we thought it'd be a good idea for you to get along with the little one." Terrence laughed awkwardly.

"Shrimpy's a gud kid, doncha know? It's just that yew've been actin' like an arse to her, no wonder she's givin' ya the cold shoulder." Donovan pointed out.

"Whatever Fi, if you can't be nice then just ignore her. That's what I'm doing. If I had to smile and kiss her ass, I'd probably be dead by now." A black haired girl advised as she kicked her feet up onto the table.

Another boy leaned over the sofa and grabbed some of Donovan's snacks. "Alice's right though, the kid won't be rude to you if you just ignore her. Just don't be an ass 'kay? Just, like, tolerate the girl's existence and she'll treat you better than she is now."

"Look, just treat her decently and she'll do the same." Terrence smiled, fearing Mireille could hear them from her room.

And yes, Mireille could most definitely hear them from her room. But she knew that she could only keep her mouth shut, she had faced worse criticism from other nobles. Despite practices and learning from her mother and Iris D'Argent, Mireille still found it difficult to throw away the "self" from her past life, and live purely as "Mireille D'Argent, child of the Argent House." This other "self" was probably the only thing helping her avoid death after all.

Mireille continued to eavesdrop as she studied in her room, until she heard a certain eccentric voice on the other side of the wall. "Yoo-hoo! Everyone's here as expected!"

"Would it kill you to come into our dorm normally, headmaster?" Alice scowled.

"Headmaster, we know you're pretty much king on academy grounds, shouldn't you at least knock on the front door?" Terrence criticized, encouraging the others to join in on bashing the headmaster.

"My, aren't you guys particularly grouchy today? Well, I'm not here for any of you guys today!" The headmaster smiled.

"Then shoo, da door's o'er there." Donovan waved his hands as if he were swatting a fly.

"Would on of the girls kindly knock on Mireille's door?"

Mireille waited until she heard a knock before she opened her door. The headmaster smiled and took hold of her hand and suddenly she no longer stood in her room anymore. She looked around and then calmly stared at the headmaster. But in the eyes of the headmaster her stare was more like a glare.

"Come on now, don't look at me like that. I just want to talk!" He revealed and raised his hands up as if he were surrendering. "I just wanna talk about tomorrow's training."

"Training?"

The headmaster kept his hands above his head and continued to explain. "Well, you want to be able to use magic while wearing the collar now don't you? Each of the black collars go through this. How do you suppose everyone was using magic at Asphodel's Fields?"

Mireille sat down at a chair across from the headmaster's, at his desk. The headmaster thoroughly explained how to counter the collar's effects. While the crystal would protect Mireille from hysteria, using magic was a different scenario.

For innate magicians that had a light magic affinity it was easy to negate the effects of the collar and use magic, while being collared. All magicians were structured differently inside, like snowflakes. To be able to change Mireille's internal to resemble that of a magician with Light Affinity, she would have to absorb a magic core into her body. Which was easier said, than done.

"There's no real side effect after the struggle of absorbing it. It just a loop hole I've found in Lysithean's punishment system."

Mireille sat there contemplating the implications. "Then would my affinity with fire and wind would be assimilated?"

"'Course not. Didn't you see Fianna and the others just blasting away all those magical beasts today? This is Aizen Militia Academy. Just trust me and my academy's researcher's for this Mireille. My, with the way you are now, it really reminds me of the way little Cordelia was..."

Mireille leaned forward, now completely interested. "You knew my mother?"

Roy Aizen explained that he knew both of Mireille's parents, they were exceptional students among humans and were among the few who made it to graduation. Though they were only average when measured up against students of other races.

"Alright now. Tomorrow, I'll pull you aside from the rest of the class so you can start absorbing a magic core." The headmaster smiled as he patted Mireille's head. "Ah, and don't worry. I won't tell anyone about your hair."

Wondering if the headmaster is sus or not be like.