01

The crickets spoke in hush tones within the deep and dark night within Singapore. Within those conversations, a beautiful, quite voice was singing a song while the long and narrow boat glided across the water surface underneath each of the wooden bridges and houses. Inside the boat sat two people at each end. At the far back, a man sat with a large cone-like straw hat sitting a top of his head hiding his face while he used a skinny pole to push the boat across the calm water. He listened quietly to the song softly coming from the front of the boat. A young woman's voice came from under the hat that matched the mans. This young women lifted her head to look up at the man from under the hat.

This women was Evelyn Adams.

And this man was Leonardo Thompson.

Evelyn's emerald green eyes fell on the young man sitting in front of her. Leo's face glowed for a moment in the faint light that came from up above them. Scruff had grown on his face making him look older and more handsome in the time that had past since the death of Captain Jack Sparrow.

His dark eyes glanced at hers followed by a short nod, encouraging her to keep her singing. A sigh fell through her nose as the boat continued to glide. Her back had grown stiff from sitting in perfect posture. She had to blend in to the Singapore society, making sure not to catch the eye of anyone. They had a mission to do and to do it without drawing a crowd.

Evelyn tried to relax her body as she continued to sing:

"Some have died and some are alive

Others sail on the sea

With the keys to the cage

And the devils to pay

We lay to Fiddler's Green

The bell has been raised from its watery grave"

Marching footsteps along the wooden bridges caused the two to look at each other. Both knew who they were without even having to look. But they did anyway. Keeping their head forward, their eyes carefully glanced at the British Navy soldiers walking across the bridges and walkways above them. Leo shifted his eyes from above, down towards the girl. He let out a deep breath, continuing to push the boat close to the shore of Singapore. Still looking up, Evelyn watched the men closely as she softly sang her song. The soldiers marched without even looking down, their eyes kept forward and kept going about on their patrol.

"Hear its sepulchral tone

A call to all, pay heed the squall"

The boat drifted underneath the men from above. None payed attention to the two common folk traveling to their destination within Singapore. Fireworks ignited above the next bridge they sailed underneath due to a young child who lit the powder and ran off. They sailed down to the end of their path right where a small wooden dock stood. They passed the only person outside who was cutting the fish he'd caught. Even then, the person didn't pay any amount of attention to the two.

"Turn your sails to home

Yo, ho

Haul together

Hoist the colors high"

Leo stopped pushing the pole and reached out to grab on to the small, short dock. He placed the pole in the boat and tied the boat to the dock. Climbing out of the boat, he reached down to extend his hands out for Evelyn to grab. Evelyn grabbed his hands and stood up. She stepped one for at a time on to the dock. Looking around, she continued sang the song as Leo tied one last knot in the rope, securing their boat.

"Heave-ho

Thieve--"

"Thief and beggar. Never say we die..." A new voice spat out the rest of the lyrics of the song. Evelyn's singing came to a stop, looking in the direction where the voice was coming from. Leo was instantly up on his feet to stand by her side with his hand on his sword handle. They watched closely as a man appeared from the shadows with two others following behind him. The men were covered in filth and wore dark expressions as they approached Evelyn and Leo. They were Singapore natives and pirates no doubt. Evelyn took a step forward, a hand out in front of Leo, ready to fight the men before. From the time Evelyn first learned how to use a sword until now, she had grown braver and stronger. She was ready to stand up and protect the ones she loved. No longer the weak girl who could use a sword. She was a strong woman who knew how to fight.

"A dangerous song to be singing..." The leader of the three said softly. His eyes widened slightly on his tan, oily face. He and the men each shared the same type of Singapore outfits and matching hats the two wore as a disguised. "For any who are ignorant of its meaning." He finished his sentence, sweat sliding down into his goatee. "Particularly a women." A look that grew in his eyes caused Evelyn and Leo to feel disgusted. "Particularly a women alone." An amused tone in his voice grew as he snapped his eyes to Leo's, knowing very well that Leo was out numbered.

"What makes you think they're alone?" A familiar voice called down, along with the thumping of boots against the man made steps beside the grey stone wall.

All heads turned to the voice to see Captain Barbossa appear right before their eyes.

"You protect her?" The leader asked, taking a few steps to him.

Evelyn pulled out a knife from the strap around her thigh and slid up behind the man, wrapping her arms around his shoulders to place the blade on his throat. "What makes you think I need protecting?" Evelyn whispered in his ear, pieces of her hair falling out of her braid. The man's men pulled out their guns and pointed them right at Evelyn.

Barbossa, looking unbothered, spoke once more. "You're master's expecting us and an unexpected death'd cast a slight pall on our meeting." His eyes hovered over Evelyn's face. Slowly her eyes moved over to his. Against her better judgement, she lifted her hands from the man and slowly pulled back away from him.

"On the double!" A voice shouted from behind, followed by multiple footsteps causing the group to turn around and back up against the grey stone wall beside them. English Navy men hustled down the stairs of a bridge without looking in any other direction but forward. The man Evelyn had been holding a knife to turned around and looked right at the group. He held up a finger to his lips and lead the group around the wall and under the bridge. Barbossa, Evelyn, and Leo all exchanged a look with one another before following the three men into the dry land of Singapore.