32

Evelyn's bare feet smacked against the smooth, dark brown, wooden floorboards. Her wavy, strawberry blonde hair blew past her shoulders. Emerald eyes darted back and forth between the foyer and the top of the staircase she was closing in on. Grabbing her white nightgown in one hand and the wooden railing in the other, Evelyn bolted down the stairs. The rapid sounds of frantic footsteps along the wooden steps echoed throughout the quiet house. It was early morning and Evelyn was on a mission to find Amelia. Excitement still bubbled all throughout her body as she eagerly wanted to show her mother and friend her ring that Will had made her.

Reaching the bottom step, Evelyn ran through the dinning room and stopped in the kitchen but not a soul was there. No servants either. Biting her lip and furrowing her eyebrows, she went gaze outside the back kitchen door. No one was out there either. To her, this side of the house was cleared. She looked in the kitchen and noticed freshly bakes blueberry muffins. They were placed in a bread basket for breakfast. A delightful smile worked its way up to her face. "Hello." Evelyn spoke to the baked goods, salivating at the sight and sweet smell. Looking around the kitchen, she reached into the basket and snatched one from the top. They were warm under her touch. She let out a sweet sigh and bit into the pastry. It was delicious on her tongue.

"Miss. Adams!" One of Evelyn's servants playfully scolded. The sound of another person's voice made Evelyn jumped, wide eye. Turning around, she saw one of her family's servants standing at the door with a playful glare and her hands on her hips. This servant had worked for Evelyn's family as long as Amelia. Both women had been good friends since Evelyn was a babe.

"Hi, Charlotte." Evelyn gave a sheepish grin, taking another bite. "Have you seen Amelia?" She questioned, walking towards the woman.

"I believe I heard everyone talking in your father's office." She threw her thumb over her shoulder.

Evelyn raised a brow. "I wonder what they're all in there for. Thank you, I'm gonna go find her." She moved around Charlotte, shoving the last piece of the muffin in her mouth. "The muffins are exquisite!" Evelyn spoke through the full mouth.

Charlotte giggled. "Evelyn Adams, you are nineteen years old and still sneak food before a meal. You've been doing that since you could walk." She turned around, watching Evelyn walk towards the kitchen door.

"This time I couldn't help it. They smelt so good!" Evelyn giggled, looking back over at the brunette.

"That is the only excuse you've always used." Charlotte gave Evelyn a playful, pointed look.

"Oh my gosh." Evelyn giggled. "Good morning; thank you!" She added in a singsong tone. Pushing the door open, she bolted through the dinning room, through the foyer and through the living room. Her feet took her down the hall where multiple doors stood. Voices behind her the door of her father's office/the family library caused her to silently come to a sharp stop. Lighting touching the wooden door, she pressed her ear against it, listening in on the conversation.

"Thank you both for talking with me so early." It was Will's voice. His voice caused Evelyn to let out a small gasp, pulling back to look at the door. She hesitated before placing her ear back against the dark wood.

"Of course, darling." Amelia's voice was gentle, sounding ever so motherly towards him.

"What seems to be the trouble?" Charles' voice tunes in, mimicking the tone Amelia used. It warmed Evelyn's heart to hear her parents talk to Will with such kindness and gentleness.

"There's no trouble at all. I just want to talk to you about something." There was a slight nervousness in Will's voice that didn't settle very well with Evelyn. He continued to speak. "I realized I never asked you both for your blessing to marry Evelyn."