39

Several weeks later...

Evelyn sat in the cushioned love seat, leg bouncing anxiously. Hands folded on her lap, her fingers merely scrunching up lavender fabric of her skirt. Part of her didn't know what else to do as she waited for Will to come home. He told her that he was running a few errands for her father before he kissed her on the head, leaving the Adams' household.

After he left, Evelyn found herself anxiously waiting around the house for his return. She scribbled a small letter for Leo and asked one of her servants to deliver it to him on their way into town.

For a few hours, Evelyn went to do small tasks to keep herself occupied. Mainly, to keep her mind off of things. She went out to her garden, weeding her flowers. Attempted on doing needle work for only a moment until she realized she still couldn't stitch properly. Tried reading but couldn't help but zone off into space. Evelyn even tried to play piano, even though she never learned how to play.

Evelyn tried everything she could do to keep her mind off her thoughts. But she wasn't trying to do it because she was upset.

She wasn't upset.

She wasn't scared.

Anxious, yes. But in the best way possible. She couldn't wait to see Will. There were many things to talk about but she couldn't wait to tell him one specific thing.

Evelyn was beyond anxious for Will to come home.

Thoughts circled her mind as to what Will would say or how he would reacted to her news. She knew he wouldn't be upset, or at least she hope he wouldn't.

As Evelyn fingers fiddled on the lavender skirt of her dress, she heard Martin opening the front door. Will walked inside, looking right to the doorman. Her heart stopped as she heard Will share his thanks.

"Have you seen Evelyn?" Will's question to Martin flowed throughout the foyer into the living room. It brought a loving smile to her face at his question. It reminded her of when they were younger and Will would come for a visit, questioning her whereabouts.

"I'm in here, darling!" Evelyn called aloud, staring out into the foyer at his back.

Will turned around, eyes focusing on her before smiling. Gone were his pirate clothes and instead replaced with fine shirts, coats,
and trousers, gifted to him by Evelyn's father.

He walked over into the living room, casually exchanging his goodbyes to Martin over his shoulder.

Evelyn pushed herself on to her feet, meeting Will halfway. She stood before him, standing up on her toes to kiss him. Both placing a hand balancing hand on each other's shoulder. "Hello." She smiled, looking back up to his eyes.

"Hello." He mimicked. "What have you been up to today?" The question was genuine and sweet.

Reaching out, she took his hand and pulled him over to the love seat. "Well, quite a lot." Evelyn nervously laughed but Will didn't seem to noticed.

"Such as?" Will chuckled as Evelyn glanced over her shoulder at him. She motioned him to sit in the love seat.

"Well I went out to the garden. Spent some time reading." Will sat in the chair, looking up at her. Evelyn continued. "Let's see...I sat and worked on some needle work."

"You can't do needle stitching." Will raised a brow.

"Yes I know. I also spend time playing the piano." Evelyn added lightheartedly.

"You can't play piano."

Evelyn blinked. "Yes I know this."

"Why were you doing all these things for? You know you could have come with me into town, Evelyn." The nervousness in Evelyn began to grow.