12

Throughout the foggy darkness Will stood towards the front of the Black Pearl. He securely tied the rope around the dead soldier hanging over the side of the barrel. Taking out his knife, he cut the rope loose, letting it fall into the ocean's water and in line with the trail of floating bodies for Lord Beckett to follow.

Will looked down to the knife he held in his hand, rotating the blade in his hand to study it. His mind went to Evelyn, it's where it always went too since she had left the Pearl. Will hated himself for what he had said to her and how he made her feel. It pained him to know that he made her cry, to know that he broke her which he swore he'd never do.

He let a sigh slip through his nose as his face soften. All Will wanted to do was to hold her and beg for her forgiveness. But even Will knew he didn't deserve it, he didn't deserve anything from her after what he has put her through. He wouldn't blame Evelyn if she never spoke to him again but he hoped that she would forgive him and that if she did, he would never any or do any of those things again. He would swear on his mother's grave.

Looking out into the sea, he wondered what Evelyn had been doing right now and prayed that whatever she was doing that she was safe and out of harms way.

"You escaped the brig even quicker than I expected." Jack's voice pulled Will from his thoughts. Will looked up to find Jack laying across the bowsprit, instantly pointing his knife at Jack. He watched as the pirate stood up and began walking closer to him. "William," his tone cool and casual. "Do you notice anything?" He asked causing a confused look to well up on Will's face. "Rather...do you notice something that is not there to be noticed?

"You haven't raised an alarm." Will looked around him, then back to Jack.

"Odd, isn't it? Not as odd as this." He gestured to the next barrel Will had set up. "Come up with this all by your lonesome, did you?"

"I said to myself, 'Think like Jack.'"

Jack looked unimpressed. "This is what you've arrived at? Lead Beckett to Shipwreck Cove so as to gain his trust...accomplish your own ends? It's like you don't know me at all, mate." He gestured to himself.

Will's face and arm dropped.

"And how does Miss. Evelyn feel about this plan?" He finished walking across the bowsprit and hopped on to the deck. As Will turned around, looking back down at the barrel, Jack continued speaking. "Ah. You've not seen fit to trust her with it."

"I'm losing her, Jack. Every step I make for my father is a step away from Evelyn." Will's voice grew soft. He lifted up his hand where her ring was wrapped around his pinky. "We got into a huge argument and she gave this back to me."

"Is...that?" Jack's face contorted into confusion, glancing at the ring then at Will.

Will nodded. "She told me 'I was going to ask you to chose between your father and I but you've made your choice...and I've made mine'....maybe I've lost her already." He said softly.

"I never thought that she had it in her to take it off." Jack stated, surprised by her actions.

"That seems to be the statement of everyone." Will's sarcasm was followed by a faint scoff.

"Smart girl, Evelyn is. I was always rooting for Leo but after he killed me, I said the hell to you both and have Evelyn be a free and available woman." Jack grinned, giving a firm nod. "But if she some reason she has you back, I do hope your children don't get your stupidity. If they are lucky, they'll get her looks, wits, brains, and personality. But this is all just a big 'if' since you did cause her to take off the ring. You must have really messed up for her to do such a thing." Jack laughed.