Only A Dream

I must be dreaming.

That is the only thought in my mind as this happens. It's a dream. Ithas to be. I was having a lucid dream. I was dreaming and instead ofbeing in candy land, meeting with (favorite celebrity/historicalfigure), skating on the rings of Saturn? Instead I was just in myroom, in my apartment, with a mummy.

Had my trip to the museum effected me so much? Or was it the bread Ihad made that was inspired by the flavors of ancient Egypt andGreece? Or was it a combination of the both of them? "Nerfert? I'msorry; Name? What is wrong?" He asked worried and I glanced at himand for the first time I looked past him and saw more of this man.This mummy.

Behind the yellow-aged bandages and the amber and black eyes I couldsee his mouth from right below his nose to his neck. His skin lookedlike the texture of beef jerky while the color looked like lightleather.

"It's just Name. I don't need to be called by someone else in mydream; unless it is (favorite character)." I giggled thinking of myfavorite (book/movie/show), why couldn't I have dreamed of being thatworld?

"Dream?" He echoed before frowning and tilting his head lookingconfused. "Do you think this is just a dream.

"Well obviously; you are a mummy!"

"It's me iris blossom, Kohmus!"

"The mummy from the museum?" I asked shaking my head, "I'm noteven creative enough to make up a mummy?"

"What is a museum?" He echoed and I chuckled at that idea of himnot knowing what it was. Of all the things for him to not know whatit was when I had him knowing everything but what a meuseum was. Howrandom was that?

"Well a museum is where the art and artifacts from all differentplaces so people can see and experience and also see all that peopledo." I explained as well as I could to him and he seemed confusedbut still seemed to be thoughtfully weighing what I was saying beforenodding.

"Ah okay, I see. Was that the strange place in this strange age. Isthat why there was the non flame light?" He asked and I blinked athim confused before he pointed to my lamp and I looked beforerealizing that he had existed before electricity had been discovered.

"Oh, the light? Yes." I shrugged and sighed as he was watching meso intensely, like the mysteries of the universe would revealthemselves to him on my face. "Uhm..." I looked away from him andsighed but looking to him he was still looking at me. He obviouslywas doing that thing that the lovesick fools-and I mean that in thebest possible way-would look at their beloved ones. Like they weretrying to memorize their loved ones faces, so they could still seethem in their mind so when they were apart even for a few minutesthey would have each other.

"Okay then, yeah fire doesn't make light anymore. Electricitydoes." I explained and shook my head as I saw he about to ask aquestion. "I'll go over that later. But...how are you here?" Iasked frowning and he looked down.

"Are you disappointed to be found by me?" He asked and I pushedaway the part of me that almost whimpered at the sadness andpain that was filled to the brim in his husky voice. Which I'm prettysure is a natural part of his voice even if it could use some morework and some water probably.

"No, not that. I mean I don't know you." I added and he sighedlooking down but now seemed more lovingly annoyed; the way a loverwould do when they dealt with a slight annoyance. One that whilenormally grates on their nerves instead now is just a quirk of theirloved one.

"Not yet." He teased and I can't help but roll my (eye color)eyes shaking my head and sighed.

"Anyway; how are you here? You were dead weren't you? How are younow...alive?" I asked as this is one of the weirdest dreams I'veever had but I would just go along and act like this was normal. If Iactually remembered it when I woke up I should write it up; maybemake it a prompt on the internet? Someone might make a cool storyabout it.

"Oh that." His speaking drags me from my thoughts and I look overto him waiting for him to continue on. "I am very lucky to befavored by a few of the gods, beyond being once a Pharaoh." Hehummed and thought for a few moments, "but what was supposed tohappen was I wake up as a god, but Nephthys knew that I would behappier with you. That I need to be with you." He smiledreaching out to cup my face but froze as I flinched from him.

I didn't even think of it but had done it and his hand hung in theair between us for a while before he dropped it. He looked down as ifto apologize and I looked away feeling almost guilty that I had madehim feel like that.

I wasn't as much into Egyptian mythology but had read from the blurbof information that she was a goddess of death, a grim reaper in someways. In a lot of ways it seemed my imagination was used up. Thegoddess of death could do that, I guess, it was just left Anubis thegod of funerals. I didn't know enough about mythology if there wouldbe more death gods in ancient Egypt.

"C-come on." I managed to say and open the door leading him out.He watched me as if he was sure I would bolt at any moment. But hedidn't seem ready to grab me up, but he wasn't about to do anythingto me. Or maybe he would. I led him to my living room where I hadboth my TV, laptop, love seat, comfy chair, and a small table thatwas kind of a breakfast nook in that it had only three chairs thefourth side of the table pressed against the wall.

I pointed to one of the chairs at the normal table I used while I satopposite of him. It was my normal place I took my meals. If I hadmore then one or two people over to visit I'd move my coffee table tothe side and grab my unfolding table I kept in the closet in my room.My friend who I had sent the yarn to had before crocheted me a tablerunner, set of eight place mats and cup holders in (set of threecolors) that I always loved. She also made the three place mats and cup holders that went on my breakfast nook table. Plus the simplesingle crochet she called the wash clothes that she'd use her excesscotton yarn for that was amazing well.

"The gods, even when they try to help, can be cruel. Even ifunintentionally." He added and hummed and chuckled at my obviousconfusion. "You are so beautiful, just like when you were alivebefore." He reached out and slid his rough fingers along my (skintone) cheeks. I was expecting it this time and I didn't flinch fromhim, "you are reborn. With smooth skin, expressive(bright/medium/dark) eyes, and soft hair." He then pulled his roughbandage wrapped fingers and looked at them looking almost angry atthem. But that isn't the exact word to use. "And I...I am this."

He shook his head and looked down roughly rubbing the space betweenhis eyes. It...it hurts me to see such a silent, true pain on him."K-Kohmus..." I manage to say and he freezes up before looking upat me and giving a chuckle.

"Yes, I shouldn't be so ungrateful. I have been blessed beyondblessing and blessing. To have you once again. To be with you, to seeyou again when losing you...I am so blessed." He then looked awayfrom me shuddering in pain. "But to see the disgust swirling inthose beautiful eyes of yours...it hurts so badly."

The pain! Oh Iam so sorry Kohmus. I always make my boys suffer.