Flashback

I mumble stretching out looking around seeing the familiar walls ofmy room, I hear a soft snoring and look over to see Kohmus fastasleep, he is sleeping in a chair which confuses me. I don't have anychairs in my room, looking better I see it is the chair from thedining table. Sitting up I look around, I am on my bed, under thecovers, with the clothing I had put on this morning, still wearing myday clothing. I looked at the alarm clock on my bedside it was justbefore noon, whatever it was, I was only asleep for a few hours.

Wh-

I couldn't even finish that thought before my mind was suddenlyrecalling memories-a lifetime of them-it was at one moment far toomuch and yet not nearly enough.

My mother brushing my long ebony black hair, that was as flowingas water. It was her pride, she absolutely adored my hair and nothingmade her happier than getting to brush it and put it into uniquestyles. We were not the richest, we had enough to care for ourselvesin Sami and had each other and that was enough. I was an only child.

We were happy, but as I was taking the transition between a girland a woman when my father got injured. We cared for him but a fewyears later he did die. It was hard to think just how my viral fatherwho used to be able to pick me up and hold me above his head and runall around our home, to be now this sickly pale man. He passed awayeasily and we put him to rest. Mother passed a few moons later,broken heart syndrome.

I was left to take care of their home, our home that was now onlymy home.

Every person had a slightly different way to honor the gods, forme it was always dancing. It was the only way that felt the mostright and the only one that I could do often. It was later that thetraveling dancing group saw me, out behind my home right outside themodest farm that I was dancing. It was my pure stubbornness that keptme going. I was tired, doing what had always been split between atleast two people was not easy, I was not doing good enough to affordcandle light to work by so only could from dawn to dusk.

Instead now I dance by Khonshu's light, worshiping not only himand Bast, the two deities I had always felt so close to, but all. Itwas them who found me and asked me to join. I did not know what mademe go but it was as if the night whispered to me to go and I went.

Perhaps it was a god or spirit guiding me, because that is how Imet Kohmus. Maybe Hathor had been happy with the offering of thedance I offered her. That one day I'd find the man I was meant tomarry like my mother and father had found. Perhaps another.

Kohmus. I thought nothing of him at first. Of course he was thepharaoh and I had to make sure that I did my best but I never dreamedI would grow to consider him my friend, much less what we didbecome...

Nor to meet his 'mama'.

"Nerfert of Sami." I turned seeing Nephthys and gasped.

"Nephthys?"

"Yes."

"So, it's my time?" I had asked and for just a moment Ithought she seemed surprised.