The Kyoya Card

C H A P T E R   T H R E E

*|| Kaine's POV ||*

I just got out of the office and now I'm waiting outside the cafe for Mori. He's late. He's never late. I face the corner he normally takes but he doesn't show. Just stranger after stranger.

"Mori's been acting weird since the wedding. " I mumble to myself.  I see my reflection from the corner of my eye and face full front. I look gross. I tug on the bags under my eyes as if it's going to do something.  For some reason I feel like I'm being watched. I haven't felt like that in years.  I scan the area slowly, making sure I don't draw attention to myself.

And through the crowds, I make eye contact with someone.  A guy. Tall but not as tall as Mori. His hair a bit scruffier like he got out of bed and simply combed his fingers through.  He won't stop staring. Why? Getting a bit uncomfortable, I start walking home.

"Wait..." I think is what I heard in the crowds but I pay little attention. I just want to know where the hell is Mori.

——————

I'm in my study finishing up crunching the numbers, when Mori walks in. Putting my hair down, I take off my reading glasses and I sigh.

"Where were you at lunch today?"  I ask.

"There was a situation that needed to be handled." He simply answers.

"Yeah, well you could've called or texted me. I waited outside for you only to leave because a guy was staring at me."

"A guy? Who?" He asks intrigued.

"This tall guy with black somewhat scruffy hair. Uh.. glasses I think. He was pretty far away." I rub my head," I can't really remember. I've had a long day." I explain.  He comes around behind my chair and starts massaging my shoulders.

"Mmm, that feels nice." I close my eyes enjoying the relief." So, when do you fly back to Japan?"

"That depends..."

"Depends on what?" I pursue.

"When are we getting married?"

I pull away from him.

"Hey! We could've been married now if it weren't for you pulling the Kyoya card on me." I blame him.

"We could've been married right now despite me pulling out "the Kyoya card"." He says back.

"Why are you doing this to me?" I ask him as I pace around the room. "I was fine until you brought him up. Is there something you're not telling me?"

"You don't want to marry me."

"Yes I do. I'm ready-"

"No, you don't understand. You don't want to marry me." He reiterates." I believe you're ready to get married but not to me. This wedding wasn't for you and me."

"What are you saying?" I ask knowing the answer full well but I don't want to say it.

"This wedding wasn't for you and me. This is an arranged marriage.... and a way for you to destroy any chance to be with Kyoya." He says and a thought strikes me.