A Married Woman

C H A P T E R  F O U R

*|| Kyoya's POV ||*

"Location?"

"Check!"

"Outfits?"

"Check!"

"Invitations?"

"Check!"

The party is tomorrow and I take inventory of the necessities. From the corner of my eye,though, I can see Tamaki fidgeting around Haruhi glancing at me every other moment.

"I'll be heading out for some air."I say marking off the list I have in hand," If you want to say something, now's your chance to do so."

"Are you going to put the effort on getting back together with Kaine?" Tamaki asks.

Pausing in front of the door, I answer," No."

And I'm out the door.

———

I cruise through the crowds, looking for a spot for me to finish my work.

I remember this park.

I turn my head and I find the same cafe where Kaine stood. I find myself crossing the street, drawn to this location. I can't help but feel like she's there.

Weaving my way around the tables and to the counter, I order a cup of black coffee to go. As I wait, I scan the room. And to my right, I see her. She's pouring a lot of cream in her coffee. A smile slowly makes it way on my lips. Receiving my coffee, I make way towards her. She's really changed. Her hair is long again. They she carries herself is different too. She seems relaxed for once.

Only inches away from her now but before I could even say anything, she spins around in disbelief,"Kyoya..."

I can't tell if that was a question or a statement.

"Hi, Kaine."

*|| Kaine's POV ||*

Another day, at the cafe as I wait for Mori. This time, I know he'll be late because knowing the whole group is here, he needs to separate himself from them without causing any questions to arise.

I'm about done setting up my coffee when, all of a sudden, I get nostalgic. The smell of Smokey pine with a hint of mint. This isn't in my head. He's close. Really close.

" Kyoya?!" I exclaim. I spin around to come face to face with him. He's a bit startled by my abruptness.

"Hi, Kaine." He greets but I can't tell how he's feeling. Looking at him, I've also realized he was the one across the street.

"So you...um..." I can't seem to put a sentence together. He's here. He's here right in front of me.

"I see you've changed for the better." He tells me."You gained your sight. I'm curious how?"

He's very handsome. I see the appeal in the host club now.

"I do enjoy it whenever you're flustered. It's always rare and so refreshing." He smiles genuinely.

"Uh... Kyoya..I- How..." I stumble through my words. He stepped closer and I quickly place my hand on his chest to stop him.

"Kyoya, don't." I say in relief now in complete focus. He grabs my wrist and his smile falters.

He sees my engagement ring.

"I guess, congratulations, are in order." He says. His smile is different. It's very polite and meaningless.

I pull my hand away from his grip and I play with my ring avoiding contact for a bit.

"Thank you." I say softly.

"When's the wedding?" He asks. Polite chit chat I guess.

"Last Sunday." I tell him.

"Well then, who might be the new Mr. Kohima?" He asks taking one step back to put distance between us.

"That's not important." I answer.

"Not important? That's no way to talk about your new husband." He adds pulling up a chair closest to him and I join him.

"I love him..." I quickly defend myself, he flinched," just not in the way everyone would think."

"Oh?" His curiosity increases. He's very reactive.

"What are you doing here?" I change the topic.

"Changing the subject, I see. I'm not surprised. You were always difficult to gain the whole information from." He says before taking a sip of his coffee.

"That doesn't answer my question." I state rubbing my fingers against my coffee cup.

"I'm here on vacation, along with our friends- sorry my friends because apparently keeping contact with the people who care about you is too difficult for you." He says in a sour way.

"I was waiting for that attitude of yours." I laugh a bit."Am I still the only who can still trigger you in that way?"

He simply scoffs.

"You never were a simple person, even before." He states, adjusting his glasses.

"Yes well, you would've paid little to no attention to me if that were the case." I respond.

"If that were the case," he reiterates,"then I wouldn't be in this position in the first place. You would've moved to Italy and wouldn't have cared." He retorts.

"I wouldn't have moved to Italy if the circumstances were different." I clarify.

"So, basically, what you're saying if you didn't know us or kept our noses out of your business you would've stayed?" He asks a little aggravated.

"... Yes." I answer him. At first he looks upset but then, after a moment, his expression softens and he looks more neutral.

What is he thinking?

He reaches across the table and grabs both my hands before pulling himself across only to hover about an inch away from my face. My heart is racing, pounding against my chest. I haven't felt like this in years. I feel his breath against my lips and a shivers runs down my spine.

"If you weren't a married woman, I'd kiss you right here, right now. I would hold you in my arms while play with my fingers like you used to. Hold you, kiss you and various other things I'd like to do if only you weren't married." He pulls away, I can finally breath, "But I'm not the type a man for you to commit adultery with.  Maybe... in another lifetime, we could've been together."

He gets up from his seat to leave," Goodbye, Kaine. I wish you a happy life."

He's out the door and I'm left in miserable thought.

A married woman.

Not yet anyway.