Heart Rate

C H A P T E R   F I F T H T E E N

*|| Kaine's POV ||*

Scrapes, cuts, minor bruising, blunt force trauma to the abdomen resulted in an exploratory laparotomy. I have about 2-6 weeks to make a full recovery.

Mori, on the other hand, has major bruising, broken ribs on his left side, broken femur, broken radius and ulna and a concussion. I estimate 6-12 weeks of recovery.

I'm tired of staring at the plain white ceiling. Adjusting my bed, I sit up waiting for my friends to come back with food. While I wait, I rummage through my things I had when the crash occurred.  Everything seems to be in okay shape, apart from the occasional scratches. Digging deeper I find the little velvet box. Opening it, my engagement ring from mori is still safe. Staring at it, I can't help but put it on again. We're not engaged but I can't help but gain comfort from this ring. I look to my right and I see Mori sleeping with Honey, also asleep, by his side. Everyone else went to eat, per my demand.

At the click of the door, someone comes in but it's not my friends. Instead it's Eclaire. I let out a sigh as I wait for her to speak her mind so she can go.

"Hello Kaine. Long time no see," she greets.

"We saw each other the day of the meeting." I tell her. I'm in no mood. She walks over to my bedside and places her hand on mine.

"Its horrible that you and your friend were in a car accident, and just after the meeting you organized."

"You make it sound like you're behind it all."I adjust myself to make myself more comfortable.

"Sadly no. I can't take the credit but it was perfect timing." She lets go of my hand and crosses her arms.

"How so?" I ask.

"Well your proposal was a bold move and everyone at that meeting were already unsure. Then, all of a sudden you get in a car crash. It makes it seems as if you were a target." She smiles maliciously. I begin to worry about my future plans. The heart monitor quickens it pace. I can't hide it.

"Oh, that's fun to see." She looks over at the screen,"How about we change the topic. Kyoya, perhaps."

The monitors quickens again. She's trying to trigger me.

"What about him?" I ask, trying to maintain my heart rate.

"Well, I guess you haven't heard because you've been here but we're engaged." She smiles at me. I don't believe that. I look down at her hand to see if I spy a ring on her finger. She's lying.

"I'm sorry, but I just don't believe you." I tell her, not wanting to humor her even further.

"Why ever not? It's been a topic discussed between his and my family for some time now. With your proposal, it was only fitting to make it official." She explains. Heart rate increases once more.

"It's just not possible," I tell her. Am I really going to do it? I lift my hand to reveal the ring Mori gave me," because I'm engaged to him and I have the ring to prove it."

Her eyes widen to my delight. I can't help but triumphantly smile.

"So it's true," She adds. What? " Kyoya told me you two were engaged but I had to see for myself if that were true. He's a handsome and definitively a smart man but he always went for the emotional route unlike his other siblings. Success won't come easy if he continues to play around with his friends."

She gets up from the chair,"No matter, your engagement won't last. We are to wed soon. It's kind of perfect, actually," she holds back her laugh,"We have a lot in common. After all, we are the youngest ones of both families and we do-"