Work

C H A P T E R   E I G H T

*|| Kyoya's POV ||*

We continue to kiss and I keep her pressed against the door. I can feel her entire body relax. Her hands slide up my arms before wrapping them around my neck, and I place mine on her waist. It's, dare I say it, bliss.

But then, we're cut short as Kaine quickly pulls away. Knowing fully well I have her trapped, she only averts eye contact. Some things haven't changed.

Letting go of her, I step away. She doesn't hide her face but refuses to look at me. Her flushed cheeks overpower the stoic look in her eyes. She's yet to say something but, for once, I could tell what she's thinking.

"So, I guess you've made your decision." I say, attempting to suppress my annoyance. "After all, it would be hypocritical of me if I objected. You choose business."

She says nothing. Moves nothing. She stands so still you'd think she's a statue. I take a step towards her and she jumps in fright. She opens the door and quickly steps out the room. No explanation. No goodnight.  Not a single word.

So that's how it'll be.

*|| Kaine's POV ||*

I wake up. I roll over to check the time. 6:51 AM
Nine minutes before my alarm goes off. Sitting up from the bed, I groan. I might as well get ready for today.

After taking a shower, applying a light layer of make up, and picking out my outfit, I make my way to my bedroom door. But upon opening it, my friends appear on the other side: Tamaki ahead looking like he was about to knock.

"Morning!" They all greet. All but Kyoya. I guess they were only able to get Honey in a good mood.

"What are you guys doing up?" I ask.

"We're here to take you out for breakfast!" Hikaru and Kaoru wrap their arms around me."Know any good spots?"

Ignoring their question, I untangle myself from their grasp. Walking past them, i start heading towards my office. "Sorry guys but I have a lot of work to do."

"But we want to spend more time with you Kai-Chan!" Honey informs me.

"Yeah, we haven't seen you in a long time."

"We have the right to have at least some of your attention." Hikaru and Kaoru routinely finishes each other's sentences. I missed that.

"As king, I demand that we spend time with our long lost queen!" Tamaki points up at the air. His kingly manner has never grown old, I guess.

"Kaine," Haruhi calls out my name," how about we make a deal?"

I stop at my tracks and turn to her intrigued. "I'm listening."

"How about you can skip breakfast but you have to eat lunch and dinner with us but you let me and Kyoya help with whatever work you have today?"

"What about us?" Tamaki pouts.

"You can explore in the meantime. Mori knows this city like the back of his hand." I answer his question.

"Is that a deal?" Haruhi smiles.

"Not quite," I quickly enter my office to pull out a few pieces a paper and a pen. Walking back out, I hand it to both Haruhi and Kyoya.

"You have to sign this if we are to work together for today."

"And What is this exactly?" Kyoya asks a bit annoyed. He's still waking up.

"It's your standard gag order. Any contents of information you read,write , sign, etc. Will not be shared out of this office space in under any circumstances. If you are to violate this contract, you'll be arrested."

"I see. Aren't you thorough?" He says skimming through the papers.

" Always." I retort.

"I guess we'll see you later then?" Tamaki end his sentence with uncertainty.

"Yes you will."

——————————

It's been a few hours of work. Haruhi every now and then makes a comment on the amazing work going on or gasping with intrigue or asking a question about the legal aspects of it all.

She hasn't changed a bit.

Kyoya, on the other hand, has not said a word but I can tell he's fascinated with the work my family has conducted.

"Hey Guys," Haruhi starts and both Kyoya and i turn to give her our attention," I'm going to make some coffee. Do you want any?" 

"Yes please." I answer.

"Yes. Thank you Haruhi."

She smiles before walking out the door. It's quiet now. The only thing heard is the occasional paper shuffle and pens scratching the surface.

I chose work. That's all I can focus on right now.

*|| Kyoya's POV ||*

This work is astonishing. All the science and money being poured into this... the work, the studies... it's seamless. It's perfect. The Ootori group is nowhere near this advanced compared to the Kohima- or rather the Villazaez group.

Every once and a while, I can't help but look up to see Kaine working. She's really focused on this. I can understand why she chose work over anything else and the reason why she believes she needs to marry Mori for security. Her work is spectacular and yet so fragile.

Damn, this girl can never cease to amaze me.

That's when an idea hit me. I must be insane for even thinking about it.

I look up again and this time she catches me doing it.

"What?" She asks. I only smile before putting my pen down. This will most likely go one way or another.

"What?" She asks again.

"Your work here is quite amazing." I tell her.

"So I've been told several times by Haruhi." She looks back down to continue her work. I get up from where I sat before slowly walking towards her desk.

Placing a hand on her desk and the other on my waist, I wait for her to look up at me again.

"What is it Kyoya?" She asks not yet looking at me. She's too focused on her work.

"Kaine..." I softly say.

"What?" She finally looks up at me. Not annoyed but curiously, innocently. Her once dead eyes now shimmer up at me.  Their a beautiful combination of grey and purple. I can finally see right through her.

"Marry me"

——————————

A/N

Thank you for your patience everyone! I've been busy and also in a rut for a while and I didn't want to update in such a state.
Hope you enjoyed this chapter and I promise to update soon.