Pain

C H A P T E R   E L E V E N

*|| Kaine's POV ||*

I walk back into my place and close the door behind me. Scanning the room, I listen to the emptiness surrounding me. I lean against the door, suddenly losing my strength to stand. My back slides down the door.

"They're gone." I mumble to myself, holding back my gasps.

They're gone.

I hold my head in my hands, eyes burning from the tears threatening to fall out. I bang on the floor before grunting in annoyance.

Getting up from the floor, I rub my eyes before walking up to my office.

"No time for that," I say to myself," I gotta go back to work."

——————

I'm drowning in paperwork, as per usual, but it's more hectic work than before. Mori comes home in about 2 hours and he's going to help prep for a meeting with other medical families in two days.

With my experience in high school, I know for a fact that those students are only a fraction on how their parents act.

"Kaine ," I look up to see Mori in the middle of my office.

"Mori!" I'm honestly happy to see him," I didn't hear you come in."

"I flew in a little early." He puts his bag down," thought it'd be a nice surprise."

"It is." I smile tiredly. He then sits next to me, gathering some papers and looking over them.

"Who's going to be at the meeting?" He asks. I search through the piles of papers and journals I have lying around my desk before picking up a leather bound journal.

I run my hand across the cover. It kinda reminds me of Kyoya's. I shake my head a bit before opening it.

"We have, The Sergios, Maryweathers, Du-Pang, Dario, Berkshires, the Fleur, obviously the Tonaire, and..." I pause for a second," the Ootori group."

I look up at Mori to see him sitting there, staring at me. He doesn't express anything but I know what he's thinking.

"Don't you start!" I point at him, leaning on my desk," we gotta keep working."

"I've only been gone for a week and you're in a lot of pain." He mumbles.

"I don't need this right now. I need to plan and prep when I meet the other groups. Especially since the Ootori and Tonaire family are part of this meeting and are our biggest rivals."

"Why don't you call Kyoya?" He suggests.

"Why?" I ask him, walking around the room.

"Why?" He repeats after me before standing up," you can't be serious."

"I am. Why should I call him? It's not his business. He's not my partner. You are. As soon as we get married-"

"We're not getting married," He interrupts me, and I grow cold. This isn't the plan.

"I'm your best friend and I love you," He says solemnly," you know that and I know that but I'm sorry. We're not going to get married."

I'm not strong. I know that but something came over me, and I pushed him down to the ground before leaving the room.

This isn't part of the plan.

*|| Kyoya's POV ||*

I'm at my office sorting through paper and triple checking the financing of the Ootori group.

I hear the click of my door open and, to my surprise, I see my father coming through.

This must be serious. He never comes in to my office, he always calls me in his.

"Kyoya," He starts and I stand up from my seat," we have to talk."

"Alright." I gesture him to take a seat. We both sit down and he continues to talk.

"In two days, I have a meeting to attend and tonight I have a plane leaving for Italy." He adds. Italy? "And I'm here to offer you to join me."

"Oh?" Is all I said. I lace my fingers together and listen intently.

"You and I both know that a new family has come out of the shadows as a new and advanced medical company."

He can't mean-

"The Villazaez clan has been doing many things to build there image. We must find a way to build a relationship with them or we'll have no choice but to partner with the Tonaire family."

He then stands up from his chair and so do I.

Damn

"Pack your bag and I'll see you down stairs in an hour." He leaves the room and I sit back down immediately exhausted. A knock is heard soon after.

"Kyoya!" Tamaki smiles before it leaves seeing my state," what's wrong?"

"I just had a talk with my father." I pause.

"That never ends well." He says nervously before sitting down.

"I'm flying back to Italy for a meeting."

"Well maybe you find time to see Kaine." He smiles again.

"Oh indefinitely because the meeting is hosted by the Villazaez clan and he said we either build an alliance or we partner with the Tonaire family and be a rival. And Kaine made it clear she is not looking for any alliances before we left." I explain rubbing my forehead.

"Oh" is all he says.

"This cannot end well." I mutter to myself,"and I should know, that was practically high school."

"Well... how about I join you?" He offers. I smile at the good gesture.

"I may take you up on that" I chuckle. He immediately stands up with glee.

"Perfect! I'll tell Haruhi and we'll meet you in Italy!"

———————

My father and I finally land and as we step out, we see a man waiting for us to take us to our hotel. On our way over I get a text from Tamaki.

"Meet us at the park where we first went."

After settling in, I head out to meet Tamaki at the park. I head towards the water fountain, and coming to view I see him and Haruhi waiting for me.

Getting closer, I could tell Tamaki was more idiotically happy than usual and Haruhi seems.... different.

"Tamaki, Haruhi," I greet them.

"Hi Kyoya." I'm greeted but it wasn't Haruhi or Tamaki. I look past them and I see Kaine.

"Isn't this great?!" Tamaki finally says something," we're going on a double date!"

This is not what I expected.