Starting New

C H A P T E R   S E V E N T E E N

*|| Kaine's POV ||*

Everything seems to be looking up. I'm gaining partners left and right. Grants and support are definitely not in short supply. Finishing up my final calculations, my driver rolls his window down informing me that we have arrived to my destination.

I step out of my car and walk up the polished steps of the Tonaire estate. Dark clouds begin to roll, low rubles of thunder follow.

"Isn't that ominous.." i say to myself. The front doors open before i could even knock and i'm coldly welcomed by the doorman. The echoes of footsteps fill the air as I'm lead down the hall and into an office that can be mistaken for a library.

"Kaine, so glad you could come and meet us." Eclaire immediately says as soon as she saw me." please, take a seat."

"Us?" I ask, cautiously sitting myself down towards the chair she gestured.

"Yes, Ms. Kohima. Us." Mr. Ootori steps out of the shadow behind me. The doors close and silence falls over. Only the occasion pitter patter of rain is heard hitting against the window.

"Mr. Ootori. Im surprised you're here. I thought we planned on meeting tomorrow morning?" I point out curiously.

"Yes, well... change of plans." he hesitates for a split second. Something's not right. My attention goes back to Tonaire. No doubt she has something planned. She smiles before taking a seat behind her desk.

"Let's talk."

------------

I've been in a daze after meeting with Mr. Ootori and Tonaire. I don't remember coming home either. I just know I'm in my office right now, waiting for Mori to show up. I can't seem to focus on my paper work so i get up from my chair a walk around a little to thing everything through. I start swirling around and spinning until eventually i found myself dancing to nothing.

*|| Kyoya's POV ||*

Im making my way down the hall that leads to her office. I notice her door ajar which is weird considering she always has it shut so she can work. Cautiously, i peak over to see the inside and im shocked at what i see.

She's dancing. It's... quite adorable. It's as if she's found a new sense of calm. I open the door so i can get through but she doesn't notice. It's not until i gently grab her wrist when she comes back to her senses.

She looks a me a bit surprised but relaxes when she realizes it's me.

"Kyoya," she's says with some embarrassment and tucks a strand of hair behind her ear," how long have you been here?"

"Not long," I reply with a smile on my face. I don't let go of her wrist but rather reposition my grasp to her hand. She looks at me confused as I grab her waist with my other other arm. I start to sway slowly.

"What are you doing?" She asks still confused.

"Dancing. What else?" I answer her question. She then takes a step closer, swaying with me, and places her head on my chest. She closes her eyes and I do the same, placing my chin on top of her head now.

With no music playing, we dance to an unknown rhythm. We take in this sweet moment absorbing the emptiness of the room. Kaine, every now and then hums to whatever she's singing in head. What's more comforting is her little habit of playing with my fingers with hers.

"I do miss that." i barely mutter.

 She only huffs in response before saying," We're dancing like an old couple who's been together for decades and we're not even married yet."