It's You. It's Always been You

C H A P T E R  T W E L V E

*|| Kyoya's POV ||*

Hands in my pocket, I walk along side Tamaki, Haruhi and Kaine, listening to their conversation.

It's only been a week since we've seen Kaine and yet Tamaki can talk as if it's been years.

I hear Kaine giggle and I turn my attention to her.

"Y'know Tamaki, I saw you about a week ago and somehow you manage to tell me about 50 stories in just a stroll in a park." She adds. It's as if she read my mind.

Haruhi laughs at her comment and Tamaki frantically starts to defend himself. Needlessly if you ask me.

"Well Kaine, you know it may have been a week since we've seen but there's just so much to share. Especially since before that we haven't seen you in actual years and-"

"Tamaki, uh" Haruhi interrupts him," how about we pick a place to eat!"

"Right!" He exclaims," How about-"

"Actually there's a restaurant around the corner here." Kaine points out. As Tamaki and Haruhi walk ahead, Kaine pulls my hand out of my pocket and intertwines her fingers with mine. She doesn't look back at me but she leads me away as if we've been doing this for years.

There's always something she has to do unexpected.

I do not fight her nor do I pull away. In fact I smile fondly down at her as i let her pull me away. I don't believe there will be another moment like this again after tomorrow.

I have to make it all count.

———

At the restaurant Kaine and I watch Haruhi in disbelief as she finishes her third bowl of chicken scallopini. Tamaki only smiles at her before asking the waiter to bring a batch of cannolis to the table.

"So Kaine, tell us more about the meeting tomorrow!" Tamaki asks. She takes a moment to look away from Haruhi before answering.

"Well I can't really say anything specific just yet but I'm gathering the heads of every major medical group," She smiles," and i have a few ideas to bring to the table, including to make the company more public."

Without thinking much about it, i squeeze her hand before putting my arm around her. Tamaki lights up.

"I say we drink to that." I smile. I call over a waiter," bring your finest champagne."

Haruhi stops eating midway, her face stunned. Tamaki is stunned himself.

Kaine and i look at them curiously.

"What's wrong?" Kaine asks. Swallowing loudly Haruhi laughs nervously and so does Tamaki. This only made us more curious.

The waiter opens and pours the bottle of champagne into our glasses but Haruhi's as she blocks her glass with her hand.

"No thank you." She says to the waiter.

"Haruhi this is an occasion I want to celebrate. You can't toast with water." Kaine insists before gesturing to the waiter to pour.