6. The Book Of Joseph

Evelyn walked into the house and glanced around. The interior of the house was warm and comfortable, like a home should feel. The rooms were lit with natural light coming from the windows. Evelyn could just imagine that of a night the house was filled with a warm glow from lamps and candles rather than the bright lights that most houses had. The furniture wasn't very modern but it was just the right balance between simple and decorative. The living room didn't have a TV but Evelyn found herself falling in love with the room. The comfortable sitting area was placed in front of a large fireplace, and on either side of the fireplace was a large bookcase that reached from the floor to the ceiling.

The young woman followed Joseph into the kitchen, a decent sized and simple kitchen with a wooden dining table in the centre of the room. Joseph pulled out a chair and gestured towards it with a smile, encouraging Evelyn to sit down. She smiled back at him before sitting down on the chair.

Joseph walked over to the kitchen counter before returning to the table with a tray in his hands, he placed the tray down on the dining table. The tray had two tea cups and a teapot on it. Joseph sat down opposite Evelyn before he poured the two cups of tea, placing one in front of her and the other in front of himself.

"Thank you, your home is lovely" Evelyn complimented as she accepted the cup of tea, taking it in her hands.

"Thank you. It isn't much to most people but I don't like the clutter that modern corporations try to sell us" Joseph explained before drinking from the cup.

"I guess I can understand that. My father spends most of his day in front of the television, nobody is interested in a good book anymore" she smiled. Sure, she didn't really feel as strongly about the 'clutter that modern corporations' provided but she could understand Joseph's distaste for it.

"Now, that just isn't true. I have plenty of books, many I have read multiple times" Joseph told her with a quiet laugh, and Evelyn definitely believed him considering the two bookshelves in the living room. She imagined that he owned more as well.

"I can't say that surprises me" Evelyn smiled with a small laugh before taking a sip from her tea.

"Now, you wanted to talk about joining the Project?" Joseph asked, turning the conversation back to the reason that Evelyn was here in the first place.

"Yeah...I spoke to my parents about it and they are very supportive" the young woman told him, looking down at the cup in her hands.

"They don't want to come and see what we are all about?" he asked, a little surprised that they didn't want to know what their daughter was becoming a part of.

"I thought that they would...but they don't. They just want me to go to church. My mother likes the idea of the baptism and confession, so she is supportive" she nodded with small shrug.

"It's good that your parents are supportive of this...but do you want it?" Joseph asked, looking at her with a serious expression. Evelyn sighed as she looked over at him.

"Honestly...I don't know. I understand that this isn't a regular church so I should learn more about it before I join you..." she said, her voice quieter than earlier. She didn't want to suggest that she didn't want to join the church or anything, she didn't want to say anything that would offend Joseph.

"Evelyn, don't worry" Joseph smiled warmly as he reached over and gently placed his hand on one of hers. Evelyn let go of the cup with one hand and placed it on the table, letting Joseph rest his hand on hers. "I completely understand and I'm not offended. It is actually a very mature thing to do, I would be happy to answer any questions you have" he assured her, she had to be one hundred percent sure of her decision.