23. Fluffy Socks

The next morning rolled around and Joseph woke up with an empty feeling, instantly knowing that something was missing. Something, more accurately someone, was missing from his arms and from his bed all together. Joseph showered and got dressed before walking down the stairs, assuming that Evelyn had woken up before him. It was Sunday so they would have a sermon to get too this morning.

Hearing movement in the kitchen, Joseph headed there. He stepped into the room and stopped in the doorway. There Evelyn was, looking like an angel in her own right. She was wearing a plain tee shirt and pyjama shorts, with cute fluffy socks on her feet. Her dark hair, the usual natural soft curls, cascading over her shoulders and down her back. The morning light came through the windows and hit her perfectly, casting a soft glow around her petite frame. She was perfection.

Joseph only noticed that she was cooking eggs as an afterthought, that was definitely not where his attention lay.

"Evelyn" Joseph spoke, catching her attention. The man could have sworn that he had no control over his voice or his body, maybe God had even taken control of him to push another part of his plan into motion, to bring two souls together like they were supposed to be.

Evelyn heard Joseph's call of her name and she turned to him with a smile, but that smile was soon wiped from her face as she felt Joseph's lips press against hers. Joseph had cupped her face in his hands and brought his lips down to her own as he kissed her.

Evelyn's eyes were wide as she processed what was happening to her, but she slowly relaxed. Her eyes fluttered shut as she kissed Joseph back, her hands resting on his waist. Joseph kept one hand on her jaw but his other hand ran through her hair, pulling her a little closer. Her chest pressed against his as they kissed in a completely different way to they had ever kissed before.

The kiss was deep and loving, with no sort of sinful intent behind it. Evelyn tried to take in every detail about Joseph, the warmth coming from him, his soft but slightly chapped lips, his large and slightly calloused hands against her skin, the scratch of his beard against her face. She loved every part of it.

Joseph's hand continued to hold her face, like she was something truly precious, as he pulled away from the kiss.

"What was that for?" Evelyn asked, breathless as she looked up at the man with wide eyes.

Joseph smiled at the innocence written all over her face, it made him wonder if anyone had ever kissed her like that before. "Sometimes you just know when something is right...does it feel right to you?" he asked quietly, his thumb gently stroking her cheek.

"It does" Evelyn nodded, a happy smile forming on her face. Joseph smiled back down at her before leaning down for another kiss.

This time, Evelyn kissed him back instantly. She lifted her hands, more prepared for the kiss, and wrapped her arms around Joseph's neck. Joseph's hand moved to her waist, holding her lovingly against him.

"We don't want to be late" Joseph murmured as he parted his lips from hers, resting his forehead against hers.

"We can't be a little longer?" Evelyn asked with a sigh, brushing her fingers over his cheekbone.

Joseph laughed softly but shook his head at her question. "Let's eat, then you can get ready and we can go to the church" he smiled before kissing her forehead sweetly and completely pulling away.

The pair sat down to eat the eggs that Evelyn had cooked before Evelyn had a quick shower and got dressed. She met Joseph downstairs before they left the house together, talking between themselves as they made their way to the church.

Joseph and Evelyn parted ways once they reached the compound, since Joseph had to speak with his brothers and prepare for the sermon while Evelyn had to get a seat in the church.

Evelyn saw Lonny among the congregation and smiled as she approached him. "Hi" Evelyn smiled, waving at the man.

"You seem happy" Lonny smiled, raising an amused eyebrow at her.

"I am" Evelyn smiled brightly at him. Lonny just chuckled as they walked into the church and stood their seats on the front pew.

John, Jacob and Faith had noticed the chance in Joseph and Evelyn, noticing that they were behaving a little differently. They both just seemed happier than usual, Evelyn was more smiley and giddy than usual while Joseph seemed to be in a more cheerful mood than usual.

Faith didn't seem to have any thoughts on the change in behaviour, if they were happy she was happy. She was just glad that her brother and Evelyn were happy, that's good enough for her.

However, the other two brothers didn't seem to share that view. John and Jacob shared a look, something that they had done many times since Joseph met Evelyn. The brother had nothing against Evelyn, they actually quite liked her, John had even become good friends with her, but they knew that something wasn't quite right. Of course they had noticed the way that the two looked at each other, you would have to be blind not to notice that but...they couldn't help but have some issues with it. Maybe it was the age difference, maybe it was how fast everything was happening. Either way, neither brother knew what to do about it.