24. Gift

A few more days had gone by and everything had been going swimmingly. Joseph and Evelyn hadn't spoken about their budding relationship with any of Joseph's family or followers, Evelyn had been nervous about telling people and Joseph agreed that this should be something that remains privately between them for the time being.  

Of course, Joseph's siblings weren't so easily fooled. The three other Seeds had very strong (and correct) suspicions about Joseph and Evelyn.

It was about midday and Evelyn was out with John, visiting him at his ranch. Obviously Joseph had no problem with Evelyn and his younger brother becoming close friends, he thought that it was a fantastic thing. He wanted his family and Evelyn to get along, he wanted her to easily merge with those he loved. Maybe it was naive or hopeful, but Joseph wasn't even worried one of John's sins corrupting the young woman.

Anyway, this meant that Joseph had the house to himself for the day. He used this time to start working on a sermon, sitting at his desk in his office and writing away, his Book of Joseph sitting beside him. The constant flow of his words came so naturally, like they were being dictated to him rather than thought up on the spot.

The Father had been so caught up in the words that he was writing that he almost missed the firm knock that came from the front door. Joseph furrowed his brow as he placed his pen down, wondering who would be knocking at his door.

Assuming that it was a member of his flock seeking help or guidance, Joseph stood from his desk and left his office. Before opening the front door, he straightens out his white button up shirt.

There was a look of silent surprise on Joseph's face when the door opened to reveal a familiar portly man, Evelyn's father. The man was holding a box in his hand, a small box wrapped in shiny silver gift paper. Joseph could see that the other man seemed nervous about something.

"Mr Monroe...how can I help you?" Joseph asked, making sure that he came off as polite and friendly.

"I want to speak with my daughter" the man stated blankly, not wanting to speak with the preacher. He was here to see his daughter, not this man.

"Perhaps she doesn't wish to speak with you" Joseph hummed, raising an eyebrow at the other man, like that would be enough to make him leave or give up.

"Mr Seed...it's...it's kind of you to take care of her during this...rough time" Evelyn's father managed to say through gritted teeth. "But Evelyn is my daughter, I have a right to see her" he sighed, who was this man to keep his daughter away from him?

"Well, Evelyn isn't here. She is out with my brother, John. I wish I could help you" the preacher explained with a small shrug.

"Fine...could you just give her this?" Mr Monroe asked with a sigh as he held out the small silver gift to him.

"I can...what is it?" Joseph nodded as he took the gift, before asking the question.

"It's a gift, for her birthday" Mr Monroe shrugged. That's when he noticed the confusion and hesitation on Joseph's face. "You do know that it is her birthday today, right?" he asked, raising an eyebrow at him.

"...I didn't" Joseph admitted, hating that he had to admit defeat to this man.

"Maybe you don't know Evelyn as much as you think you do" Evelyn's father hummed, knowing that he was getting under Joseph's skin.

"Is that all?" the preacher asked, only wishing for the man to leave at this point.

"Do you care about her?" Mr Monroe asked, rather randomly.

"I do, I care about all of my children" Joseph nodded, regaining his composure.

"Then please tell her that she is missed, that I love her and that I'm sorry. Tell her that she would be welcome back home...if she will forgive us. I am sure we can talk her mother into accepting her back. We are her family after all" Mr Monroe sighed, his words sincere and filled with concern for his daughter.