13. Pastor Jerome

After the barbecue Evelyn and her parents headed home and, against her better judgement, Evelyn asked her parents what they thought about the Project. Her father didn't seem to have any strong opinions about what he saw, he just nodded and said that it all seems good enough to him. Mrs Monroe, however, had a little more to say. She said that Joseph seemed strange, Jacob was rude, Faith was a little too friendly and that something about her seemed weird, but she did have a different opinion on John. She said that the youngest brother was rather charming. Evelyn just ignored her parents' comments before heading upstairs and going to bed.

The next morning, some time after Evelyn and her parents had eaten breakfast, there was a knock on the front door. Mr Monroe didn't make any effort to answer the door and Mrs Monroe was in her office, so Evelyn opened the door. She had no idea who to expect but when she opened the door, she was greeted by a friendly but unfamiliar face, a man who was dressed like a pastor.

"Uh, hi, can I help you? Evelyn asked, assuming that the man got the wrong address.

"I'm Pastor Jerome, from the church in Falls End. I was just dropping by to welcome you and your family to Hope County" the man introduced himself and Evelyn smiled a little, he seemed nice.

"Oh, well that's very kind of you. Do you want to come in?" the young woman asked, gesturing towards the inside of the house.

"No, that's not necessary. I just wanted to let you and your family know that you are all welcome to attend our church whenever you wish, we are always open" Jerome smiled. Why did all the preachers in this town seem so welcoming and trusting? Evelyn assumed it was part of their job to seem that way.

"Thank you, I'll be sure to tell my parents but I have already found a church" she assured him, letting him know that she wouldn't be attending his church.

"You have?" the pastor asked with a genuinely confused expression.

"Yes, the Project at Eden's Gate, have you heard of them?" she asked with a smile, not knowing about the tension between Eden's Gate and the rest of Hope County.

"Yes...I've heard of them. The residents of Falls End aren't fond of them and their...methods. I would be careful with them if I were you. I know that Joseph Seed has a way of getting into your head but he cannot be trusted" Jerome warned her, his smile falling from his  face and his voice turning serious.

"He said that people would say that. I don't understand, it's just a church. I get that they have some strange traditions and ideology but they aren't harming anyone" Evelyn shrugged, beginning to get uncomfortable with the man's change of demeanour. 

"It's only a matter of time" the pastor continued to warn her, saddened that another soul was lost to the Seed siblings.

"Oh, uh...I think you should leave" Evelyn sighed when she saw the car parking out side of her house and a familiar face stepping out of the vehicle.

Pastor Jerome placed over his shoulder and frowned when he saw Joseph Seed walking up the path to the house with a white box in both of his hands. The pastor turned back to the girl and nodded before turning around and walking away from the house. The pastor and the Father passed on the path, Joseph smiling polite but the other man adverting his gaze, clearly uncomfortable. Evelyn tilted her head curiously, but shook the strange feeling off when she saw Joseph smile at her. She happily returned his smile as he stood in front of her and Pastor Jerome disappeared out of sight.

"You know Pastor Jerome?" Joseph asked, maintaining his smile despite the concern rising up in him.

"No, he was just visiting, he said that he wanted to welcome us to Hope County" Evelyn shook her head with a smile, her full attention on the man who was standing on her doorstep.

"He's a little late isn't he?" the Father asked with a slightly furrowed brow.

"Perhaps he only just heard that we moved to town" she shrugged, actually agreeing with the preacher.

"Pastor Jerome is a good man and he means well, don't blame him for what he does not understand" Joseph smiled and the young woman found his comment very endearing. Jerome had told Evelyn that Joseph Seed was a bad man and only minutes later Joseph told her to forgive him, who could a man like that be anything but good?

"...he said that you can't be trusted" Evelyn told the preacher, for some reason she felt like she should tell him. 

"Do you believe him?" the Father asked, only hoping for one answer.

"I don't" she assured him with a kind smile.

"Good" Joseph nodded. "Now, I come baring gifts" he smiled as he held the box out towards Evelyn.

"What? Why?" the young woman asked with slightly widened eyes. Why would he get her any sort of gifts?

"Just accept them, don't argue about it. I won't back down" Joseph laughed softly and Evelyn laughed along. Joseph found himself watching her in awe, her sweet laugh was like music to his ears, the purest prayer meant only for him.

"Okay, okay" Evelyn nodded as her laughing faded away. "Come on in" she smiled, stepping to the side so that Joseph would step through the door.

"I would love to come in but I have to get to John's ranch, he wanted to see me about something. I'm sorry" Joseph apologised, if he could he would spend all of his time with Evelyn.

"Don't apologise, I understand" she smiled, stepping back out of the door slightly.

"I would like you to wear this for the Baptism, you don't have too of course" the Father told her, holding the white box out to her again.

"Thank you, Joseph...I mean, Father" Evelyn blushed ever so lightly as she corrected herself and took the box from him.

"It's okay if you call me Joseph, I really don't mind" he smiled, placing his hand on her shoulder.

They smiled at each other, both pausing for a moment, before Joseph nodded and turned around. As he walked away, Evelyn let out a breath that she didn't realise she was holding. She stepped back into her house and closed the door. 

Evelyn walked up to her bedroom and shut the door behind her. She placed the box on the bed and opened it, laying the lid next to the box. The woman smiled as she lifted the white material out of the box, holding it up to see that it was a simple white summer dress. She neatly folded the item again before laying it down on the bed. In the box, under the dress was a silver chain necklace. The pendant on the necklace was a silver symbol, Evelyn instantly recognised it at the Project's symbol. It was beautiful.

Evelyn smiled at the gifts, Joseph seemed to know exactly how to make her feel special. She would definitely wear them like he wanted her too.