10. Dinner with Joseph

After Evelyn finished reading the Book of Joseph, having read it all in one night, she just knew that she had to speak to Joseph again. So the next day, sometime in the afternoon, she grabbed the white book and told her parents she was going out for a while. She walked over to the compound and when she found that Joseph wasn't in the church, she made her way up to his house. Evelyn didn't like the fact that she was going to knock on his door to speak with him, she didn't want to seem rude or to bother him. Even The Father needed some time alone, after all, surely he couldn't dedicate all of his time to his flock or too some random girl who wants to join them. Yet, that's exactly what he seemed to do and it continued to amaze Evelyn, she was really beginning to admire him.

Evelyn walked up to the house and knocked on the front door, waiting patiently for somebody to answer the door. It wasn't long before the front door opened to reveal Joseph, who smiled when he saw the woman standing on his doorstep. Joseph was wearing his usual attire, black jeans with a white shirt. But this time the top two buttons of his shirt were undone and his sleeves were rolled up to his elbows, and of course he wasn't wearing his aviators.

"Oh, good afternoon, my child. How can I help you?" Joseph asked as he wiped his hands with a small hand towel.

"You seem busy, I can come back another time" Evelyn shook her head, not wanting to interrupt Joseph when he was in the middle of something.

"Nonsense, I always have time for you, come on in" the preacher shook his head with a small smile as he stepped to the side, allowing the woman to enter the house.

"Thank you, Father. I'm sorry for dropping by again" she apologised as she stepped inside and let Joseph close the door behind her.

"You don't need to apologise, what did you want to see me about?" Joseph asked as he walked past her.

"I've finished reading your book and I would like to talk about joining the Project" Evelyn told him bluntly, deciding to get straight to the point, as she followed the man into the kitchen.

"That's great news...how about you stay for dinner?" the Father suggested as he turned back to her with a kind smile, placing the hand towel down on the kitchen counter.

"Oh no, I don't want to bother you" the young woman shook her head, there was no need for such bother. She placed the Book of Joseph down on the dining table, returning it to its real owner.

"Evelyn" Joseph sighed as he approached her, cupping her face in his hands to make her look up at him. "Stop it, you are not bothering me. You are not a burden, you are welcome in my home anytime" he assured her.

Evelyn looked Joseph in the eyes, not quite sure how to explain whatever she was feeling. It was different, something that she had never felt before. All she knew was that he liked it. "Alright, I'll stay for dinner" she nodded with a small smile.

"Fantastic" Joseph smiled before dropping his hands back to his sides and turning back to finish the food.

Evelyn sat down at the table, the same seat she had sat in when he invited her in for a cup of tea. Joseph placed a plate of food in front of her before he sat on the chair opposite to her with his own plate of food.

"Now, tell me...you want to join the Project?" Joseph asked as they both began to eat.

"Yes...but I do have some questions" Evelyn admitted with a nod.