28. A Sign

Hi! Just a quick warning the last part of this chapter is NSFW but it has a warning before it begins so that you can skip it if you want to. Thank you for reading! I hope that you are all enjoying the story :)

Joseph saw it so clearly, almost as if it was real. Well, in a way Joseph supposed it was real, it just hadn't happened yet. A premonition of sorts, given to him by the voice so Joseph knew that it was the truth.

He could hear the cries of an infant, the babbling of a toddler, the cheerful laughter of a young child. The preacher had heard it as clearly as he saw it, the image of Evelyn with a new born child in her arms. As Joseph moved closer to the pair, neither of them reacted to him but he could see the baby so clearly, those familiar bright blue eyes. Joseph saw this scene play out just as clearly as he saw the collapse. All he knew was that it was not simply his imagination, it was the truth, it was a sign from God himself.

It was a sign that his feelings for Evelyn, his love for her, was pure and meant to be. It was a sign that she reciprocated his love. It was a sign that there was no need for him to restrain himself in the eyes of God, this was meant to be. As long as their love was pure, they were allowed to be together.

The voice had given Joseph a sign and who was he to ignore it?

-----

Joseph gave himself a few days to process the sign that the voice had given him, to picture that future life with Evelyn before making an effort to act on it.

Joseph walked through the front door of his house, closing it behind him and closing out the chilly night air. It was pretty late as he was getting home from visiting his siblings, discussing ways to help the project grow.

Walking into the living room, Joseph saw Evelyn standing in front of the bookcase with her back to him. Joseph smiled softly to himself as he watched her scan the shelves, obviously she hadn't heard him return home. She was wearing a pair of pyjama shorts and a slightly over sized sweater.

Evelyn hummed quietly to herself as she saw a book that interested her, before standing on her her toes and reaching up to reach the book. Since the book case reached up to the ceiling some of the books were out of the poor woman's height range, she cursed Joseph for being tall enough to reach the top shelf.

Joseph smiled at the sight, finding it rather adorable. He shook his head as he walked towards her. He placed one hand on her waist, making her jump slightly in surprise, and reached up with his other hand. Grabbing the book that she was reaching for, he pulled away slightly from the woman.

Evelyn smiled as she turned around, looking up at the preacher who was now holding the book that she wanted. "You scared me, I didn't hear you come in" Evelyn laughed to herself as she took the book from him.

"You were in your own little world again" Joseph smiled, finding that she did that every now and again, especially when she was reading or thinking about something.

"Well, I am glad that you are home" she smiled, looking up at him sincerely. It could get a little lonely at the house when Joseph was out, Evelyn understood that he was a busy man but it wasn't exactly fun for her to be alone all day in the house. It was even worse when Joseph was at a meeting with his siblings because it meant that she couldn't go and spend time with John instead.

"So am I" Joseph smiled gently, brushing his fingers against her cheek and pushing her hair out of her face. "I do miss you when I'm out" he told her, wrapping an arm around her waist to hold her a little closer.

"You saw me this morning" Evelyn laughed softly, hanging her head to hide her smile and her reddening cheeks.

"That doesn't change anything" he smiled, suppressing a gentle laugh.