29. A Terrible Sin

The next morning the couple was woken up by the sun pouring in through the widow, peacefully waking them both up. It was a Sunday morning, which meant that they would have to get up early and go to the church.

To save time, the two of them shared a shower before getting dressed. Evelyn swore that Joseph was the only man who could shower with a naked woman and not make it sexual and anyway, the whole shower the most Joseph did was plant a sweet kiss on her lips.

After showering they both got dressed and headed downstairs for breakfast. Joseph made them both a quick meal before they left the house. Joseph's hand was resting on the centre of Evelyn's back as they walked towards the church, sharing small conversation with soft smiles on their faces.

"I'll see you later" Joseph smiled before kissing her temple gently. Evelyn just smiled and nodded before watching Joseph walk away and disappear into the church, she would just hang around outside with the rest of the congregation for a little while.

Evelyn smiled when she saw Lonny and approached him. "Good morning, Lonny" the young woman smiled, making him turn to face her.

"You're in a good mood" Lonny pointed out, watching her with an amused smile. She was smiling brightly but it was completely natural, she just seemed to be emitting happiness.

"That's because I am" she laughed softly, her smile not fading.

"Do you want to tell me why?" he asked, finding her happy mood contagious.

"Nope" Evelyn chuckled, popping the 'p' playfully.

"Well alright then" Lonny laughed along with her. "Come on, let's go and get a good seat" he shook his head but smiled at her. Evelyn nodded before they both walked towards the church.

Evelyn and Lonny talked quietly between themselves as they walked through the church, taking a seat on the front pew. They continued to talk as the rest of the congregation flooded in, taking their seats. The church quickly fell silent as the Seed siblings walked in.

John smiled at Evelyn when he saw her, she returned his smile as he took his position at the side of the church. As Joseph took his place, front and centre, it was his turn to share a smile with Evelyn.

The sermon happened like usual, nothing too special to talk about, but once again Joseph had everyone's attention like he put them in some sort of trance. After the sermon, the congregation left the church and gathered outside to talk among themselves. Evelyn and Lonny left together, walking out of the church and finding somewhere a little quieter to talk between themselves.

Joseph left the church after everyone else, smiling as he looked over his flock. He couldn't help but smile when he saw what he had built, the family he had created, the souls he had saved. He continued to glance around until his gaze finally settled on Evelyn and Lonny.

At first his attention was on the woman that he loved, watching her smile and the way that the sun hit her skin. But then his attention turned to the man that she was talking to. Lonny, yes Joseph knew Lonny. The preacher knew that he was not a bad man, but he had his sins like everyone else. Of course Joseph was glad that Evelyn was becoming friends with members of his flock but he didn't like this.

Joseph didn't like the way that Lonny was looking at Evelyn. He watched her so intently when she talked, his gaze scanned her face when he thought that she wasn't paying attention, a smile appeared on his face and he hung his head when she made him laugh. Joseph wasn't blind, it was clear that Lonny had feelings for Evelyn. The way that he was looking at her was just...lustful.

It was Joseph's job to protect Evelyn from the sins of this world, and if that meant protecting her from Lonny, then so be it. So, he walked over to Evelyn and Lonny, a smile on his face.

"Lonny, can I speak to you for a moment? It shouldn't take long" Joseph asked with a smile.

"Of course, I'll be back in a minute" Lonny nodded at Evelyn before following Joseph away from her. Evelyn just nodded back at him and smiled at the two men.

Lonny followed the Father to a quiet and secluded part of the compound, where other people wouldn't hear them.

"Is there a problem?" Lonny asked. Of course he wouldn't turn down a chance to speak with Joseph but he usually just dealt with John.

"Not so much of a problem, I just wanted to speak to you about something. A small warning if you will, your best interest at heart, of course" Joseph assured him and Lonny just nodded, not knowing what to expect at all. "Lust is a terrible sin, my child. I suggest that you atone for it" the Father said with a hint of a threat in his voice.

Lonny was confused at first, wondering what had made Joseph bring this up to him. He hadn't done anything wrong, had he? Lonny glanced back at Evelyn, who was now talking with John, and sighed to himself. "I...I will speak to John about it" Lonny assured the preacher. Joseph just smiled and nodded, clasping his hand over Lonny's shoulder before walking away and leaving the younger man there.

Now all of Lonny's suspicions had been confirmed. Lonny had knew it deep down but this was just proof to him. Evelyn belonged to the Father now.

Evelyn laughed at something that John said, the Baptist laughing along. She wondered what had been taking Joseph and Lonny so long. She saw Joseph talking to other members of his flock. She glanced around and saw Lonny walking through the compound. He glanced up at her but almost instantly looked away.

Evelyn frowned at Lonny's strange behaviour but tried to ignore it. She looked up at John when she felt a hand land gently on her shoulder. "Are you alright?" John asked with a small frown, noticing her lapse in concentration.

"Oh yeah, I'm fine, sorry" Evelyn smiled up at the man. John was sceptical but just nodded and smiled back, the pair of them returning to the previous conversation they were having.