9. Late Night Reading

Evelyn lay in her bed, lying on her back and staring up at the ceiling. She just couldn't seem to get to sleep, perhaps it was partly due to the shouting starting again. Hope County was suppose to make changes, it was suppose to calm her parents down, it was suppose to be good for her. Ever since she lay in her bed, Evelyn had been tossing and turning in an attempt to get some sleep but nothing seemed to be going in her favour today.

A huff left her mouth as she turned onto her side. She sighed in another failed attempt to actually sleep for the night. That's when her gaze settled on the white book that sat on her bedside table. The Book of Joseph.

Evelyn leaned over and turned the bedside lamp on before sitting up against the headboard of the bed. She reached over and grabbed the book, leaning back into a comfortable position as she opened the book and found where she had finished last time. She found herself turning the pages rather quickly, she had never been so fascinated by a book before. It wasn't long before Joseph's words began to talk about the 'Collapse' and the end of the world. Evelyn wasn't sure whether to be interested or terrified.

"May those who fear the atomic bomb watch as the world disappears in a succession of mushroom clouds that vaporise everything they hold dear.
May tribes in the Amazon rain forest see their serpent gods devour their families and villages.
May those who fear the volcano gods be consumed by red-hot ashes and lava.
May those who fear illness be struck down by epidemics with neither cure nor vaccine.
May sea people be drowned by waves so high they obscure the sky.
May ice people die of cold and desert peoples be burned by the flame of the sun.
May drug addicts die without their drug, alcoholics without their drink and perverts without their perversions.
May scientists exhaust themselves along with the world's resources and eat each other before dying of hunger.
May those who pray to the stars disappear into the dark dust as asteroids crash into the Earth.
May believers see the demons from their holy books rise up from the bowels of the earth or descend from the sky to vomit the ice and sulphur of their Hells unto humanity."

Evelyn found herself nearing the end of the book before she knew it, learning about the Seed brothers' lives and how they finally found each other again. Learning about why Joseph decided to start the church and what his aim was. She learnt about how Joseph first heard 'the voice' after being beaten and pained by all of those who had wronged him. She learnt about how the brothers found each other again, about John and his addictions, his weaknesses, about Jacob and how, when they found him, he was calling out their names in his sleep. She learnt about how they became a family again and how they moved to Hope County, Montana, to find a home for the Project at Eden's Gate.

The young woman wasn't sure whether she should believe his words. It all seemed like the work of fiction or the musings of a madman, but then again he mentioned that people would think that in one of the earlier chapters. Evelyn was conflicted about whether she should believe the printed words but, for some reason, she just knew that she could trust Joseph Seed.

All she truly knew was that she had a few more questions to ask Joseph and then...she planned on joining the project.

"Praise the heavens for giving us
our brother John,
who hears our confessions,
our sister Faith,
who soothes us,
our brother Jacob,
who protects us,
and our Father Joseph,
whose love is unending."

Sorry for such a short and boring chapter, the next one will be longer