16. The PUDDING we know.

Christian

Unbelievable.

That was the only word I could use to describe Harieth’s sickening plan to rid herself of the mess she had created. She just had to create more mess in the name of undoing the one she had built out for herself.

My hands folded into tight fists as I watched the two security men I brought along with me, rescue Harieth from her car and began walking back here. The paparazzi, on the other hand, refused to back away. The fact I was here as well probably gave them the idea of hitting two birds with one stone. In as much as I wanted to be vexed with them, I couldn’t. Only one person was responsible and that was my wife.

The door to the back seat which I sat in was pulled open and she quickly got in before it was shut. I watched as she let out a light sigh before looking my way. I stared at her for what seemed like a while and she, on the other hand, was unable to directly meet my gaze. At least she’s feeling guilty.

“Relieved?” I questioned a bit sarcastically and she instantly looks back up to me without giving a reply. Sooner than later, the car began moving.

“I’m sorry you had to come to get me.” She apologised as she stared elsewhere.

“Really? That’s all you can apologize for?” I had to add, seeing she didn’t seem to get the memo.

Her eyes went round for a while before it was back on me.

“I was trying to fix everything…”

“By going out in the open on the very same day your face was printed out in the papers. Very smart move Harieth. You couldn’t have been smarter.”

Slowly, a frown surfaced on her face.

“Perhaps, my action was slightly wrong but I don’t think that gives you enough right to speak to me the way you’re doing. I’m not a child and I very well know what steps to take in my life.” She declared all at once and my hands on my laps form a tighter fist in annoyance. I wanted to say more. I felt like cursing out on her but… I just couldn’t.

I looked elsewhere, away from her.

“I’m taking you home so for the meantime, don’t do anything. Just stay put and lay low.” I narrated without still looking at her side. A subsequent sigh on her part made me understand that my words had gotten through to her.

The rest of the ride home was in silence and neither she nor I wanted to get a glance at each other.

Harieth

“....She’s an heiress who actually has billions under her name and she’s widely known as a bit of a rebel. It just doesn’t really make sense to me that she would marry for the money.”

My brows are barely narrow at the comment of the red-headed lady that sat amongst three other women making my situation out to be a topic of conversation on their show. To think this was my favourite gossip show.

“Well, that’s because you’re not a billionaire. These people actually get married to each other in other to keep the money secured amongst themselves. She’s…” Another added.

“Truthfully, I don’t see an issue here.” Another intervened as well.

“But what really gets to me is the fact that these two really made it out to seem like they were very much in love. I mean their wedding was splendid. It was literally the talk of the town from the moment of engagement to the very wedding day and now, we find out they’ve been deceiving the public? What could they possibly get from that?”