28. Red as a TOMATOE

Christian

3 hours earlier…

It wasn’t a plan. I hadn’t set my mind on going there, on being present to watch it all play out but somehow, I found myself there. My desire and thoughts had driven my body there. As I stopped and looked up, my eyes fell on her.

“Leaving for lunch?” I heard her question the few employees on their way out.

“Yes.” A male amongst the rest answered.

“Good then we can leave together.” She added before sorting a few stuffs on her table.

“We can’t.” The man was quick to add and that forced a small frown between my brows.

“We can’t?” She repeated and my eyes shifted back to her.

“Um… well, the thing is…” He began in a stutter.

“…I, we don’t think you’ll fit in well with us… I mean, the lunch we usually have is below your standards so… I’m sorry.” He completed before hastening his steps out of the room, the rest followed and I had to turn away to hide my face as they walked past me. I didn’t want them finding out the fact that I watched the entire conversation play out.

I watched them walk away without stealing a glance back and that kind of made me mad. I shifted my eyes back to Harieth who now stared into space.

A minute later, she looked away, clearly playing the role of someone who wasn’t the least bit hurt by their outright rejection of her attempt to accompany them. Deep down, I felt hurt.

Now that I think about it, Harieth didn’t have lots of friends and the two she has, she’s on bad terms with them. The reason wasn’t rocket science. It’s no new information that her personality was a bit difficult to entertain. I wasn’t a fan of hers as well but somehow, something changed and perhaps, I just saw the greater good in her.

I looked elsewhere for a moment. I know I made a decision to keep my distance with her but now, I don’t know if that’s going to be possible anymore.

…And now…

I looked up beyond the menu in my hands and our eyes met, instantly, she lowered them, hiding away behind the menu card in her hands.

A simple smile appeared at the corner of my lips as I lowered my eyes away from her. It’s crazy and funny that we’ve been doing this for over a while now. I know she wants to say something but for some reason, she’s holding back.

“Why’re you being nice to me?” Her sudden question forced my eyes back onto her.

Harieth

With a straight face, my eyes demanded a civil reply to my question. The fact that he’s been treating me a bit humanly recently is great but a part of me can’t help wondering what the reason is.

Honestly, I’m not that used to believing anyone sincerely likes me.
I know ninety-five percent of the people around me wishes I could disappear into thin air so concluding that Christian could be part of the five percent left is a very difficult decision for me. Right now, I’m just a bit confused.

I waited for a reply but all I got was his eyes momentarily staring back into mine and before I could conclude what his stare could mean, he looked elsewhere so I followed.

“Can I take your order sir?” The waiter politely asked and Christian shifted his eyes back to me.

“What have you decided?” He directed the question to me and I was forced to take one more look at the menu. Truthfully, I didn’t go through the menu. I’d been so occupied with thoughts and stealing glances at Christian that I failed to read through it.