19. I need a mighty BURGER

Harieth

Thump, thump, thump, thump...

There goes the fast rhythm of my heart once more as I stared into his eyes, anticipating the unbelievable. Why is this happening? Truthfully, that was a question I couldn’t give a simple reply to. Perhaps, this is just that one-minute exciting feeling a woman gets when a man gets too close to her body or... possibly a different feeling entirely. The fact that I want to... no, I want him to kiss me is a bit scary.

What exactly is happening to me?

Christian

Maybe, I got ahead of myself. Maybe, I shouldn’t have pulled on her purse the way I did. Lately, I’ve been doing a lot of immature and unlike me stunts. Now, I’m laid here on top of her, my eyes somewhat glued to hers and my body a bit frozen at the spot. The surprise was the culprit. What am I doing? I should just get off her and leave as simply as possible but for some reason... I couldn’t.

For the first time, I had to admit to myself that Harieth wasn’t so bad when it came to physical beauty. Every inch of her face seemed perfect. Her eyes were a simple pair of black orbs. Her nose, slim and long, perfect for her oval shaped face. Her skin was not as white as snow but tanned enough to keep her even. Her lips were a shade of light pink, thin and well curved. Slowly, my eyes travelled down her smooth and slender neck. I gulped down.

Look away, Christian.

Quite, involuntarily once more, my eyes attempted making its way down her top. As if slapped at the back of the head to regain some sense, immediately, I looked elsewhere, away from her. In an instant of that moment, I made my way off her and back on my own two feet. That didn’t just happen.

The first few seconds after that, I couldn’t seem to look at her side. I didn’t want to. It felt really awkward and unfamiliar. I couldn’t seem to find my usual self. In the end, I just stopped thinking. Instantly, I unzipped her purse, took out the card and threw the purse at her, now raising my eyes to her.

“You want a card? Work for it.” I stated in a single breath, pretending that everything was okay with me. Our eyes met and I saw no reaction on her part. Perhaps, we were both taken aback by the strange situation that occurred not long ago. At least, I wasn’t the only one to sense the awkwardness. Without wasting a minute more, I turned away and made my way casually towards the door. I stepped out and shut it behind me.

I sighed a bit loudly as I drew to a stop. What on earth just happened?
I took one last look at her door. I must really be desperate. Desperate enough to actually... actually start to see Harieth as a woman. Hormones... I blame them. I’ll have to keep myself in check. This can never repeat itself and with that thought, I walked away, hoping to forget this day as fast as possible.

Harieth

Crazy! Crazy!! Crazy!!!

I ruffled my hair in an insane manner, making a mess of its usual form.

“I must really be going crazy,” I concluded as I finally looked up to the mirror, now staring at my own reflection.

I could barely recognise the woman in front of me. A glimpse of what happened earlier returned to my mind and watched as my cheeks slowly heated up. Damn it! I looked away from my reflection in irritation. I could hear my own heart racing fast once more. Gently, I placed a hand on my chest and it felt like the sound resonated throughout my fingers.
A sigh eluded my lips as my hand slumped down to my lap and stared back once more at my reflection.

“What’s wrong with you Harieth?” I questioned myself. A question neither I nor my reflection had an answer to. This... this feeling wasn’t here about a month ago. I wasn’t even that impressed the first time we met. Sure, his family background had been a bit enticing but that was it. There was no heart racing, nervous feeling an uncontrollable desire to be by his side. Why now? What does this actually mean?