23. MARSHMELLOWS won't hurt, would it?

Christian

A sigh eluded my lips as I glanced at my reflection one last time in the mirror before stepping out of the bathroom.

“Good morning Chris!”

Instantly, my eyes shifted to the direction of the voice. Harieth lay comfortably on my bed, a wide smile playing out on her face and an expression that claims everything was all rosy with her. This was a surprise and I’m sure my face displayed that but rather than admit it further, I declined it.

“You never listen, do you?” I questioned as I made my towards the bed in stretch of picking up my tie but quickly, she grabbed it and sat up.

“Perhaps... perhaps not. I woke up this morning feeling pretty great so I just couldn’t care so much for your orders.” She stated with a strange sort of excitement. For the meantime, I said nothing. I stared, trying to understand what this strange behaviour of hers meant. I recalled last night and the brief moment we had. Either, this was her way of denying last night ever happened or she was simply trying to prove something to me.

“Let me have my tie or I’m going to be late.” I requested with a hand stretched out to her.

“Come on Christian. You own the company. No one’s going to ask questions when you show up late.” Her reply adds to her reluctance in returning my property.

“First, my family owns the company and secondly...” I place a knee on the bed and lean towards her while her gaze focused on me.

“... You don’t have to prove anything to me.” I snatched the tie off her hand once her guard was let down and only then did she realise what just happened. She battered her lashes a few times while she looked away for a second and tried to steady her happy face once more.

Ignoring her drama, I stood once more on my two feet as I hung the tie around my neck and began my attempt at knotting it.

“I-I’m not proving anything to you...”

“Really? You’re in my room regardless of my order to refrain from being here. You’re smiling, talking and pretending like you didn’t lean on me last night. I get it. I wasn’t supposed to see you in your vulnerable state but guess what; you can’t always be in control. Last night happened so get over it.” I was done with my tie so I looked up to her. The smile she wore earlier was gone and a sullen expression lay on her face.

Her eyes focused anywhere else but on me.

“I’m over it.” I added which forced her eyes back on me and without wasting a moment more, I turned away and began my steps towards the door, not forgetting to pick up my jacket off the sofa.

I let out a sigh once outside the room and the door shut behind me. A flashback of how her arms curled around mine last night intervened and I could do nothing about it.

I’m over it.

I recalled my own words. Well... Soon, I’m going to be.

Harieth

I slumped flat on my back and stared at the ceiling.

Did I try too hard?

No, I’m pretty sure I did what I’ve always done. I simply acted like nothing ever happened and he was supposed to play along. He wasn’t supposed to point out the fact that I was up to something, well, so much for sharing that moment for that night.

I sighed quite loudly and exhausted.

Why am I doing this in the first place? I’m Harieth Gryffin. I don’t care what people think of me therefore I’m not supposed to think of what he thinks of me. I’m not supposed to try too hard, except... except it seems I can’t help trying to control his thoughts of me since I have feelings for him.