26. Smooth with a SMOOTHIE

Christian

Gently, I lay her down on her bed and let her head rest comfortably on the pillow then covered her properly with the duvet, making sure she was comfy and warm enough to sleep without worries. I should retire to my own room, right? But I couldn’t. I took my seat on a small space beside her and found myself staring at her face.

I recalled the kiss we earlier shared and it brought a certain different emotion. I couldn’t quite understand what it meant. Does it mean I’m simply past the stage of hating her or does it mean that I... I might have started developing romantic feelings towards her? I couldn’t tell.

Lightly, I stroked away a few strands of her hair that seemed to get on her face. She moved a bit but that was to get more comfortable in her position. It hadn’t taken long for Harieth to fall asleep while on our way home. A part of me was happy she did. After everything, she does need some rest.

“Why are you crying?”

“Because of you.”

“You’re very bad Christian. You... you always seem to find a way to hurt me but I... I can’t seem to hate you for it.”

A seldom sigh left my lips as I recalled the last conversation we had. Did I actually hurt her that much? I didn’t really believe I was doing that. Harieth had a thing for pointing out nothing in this world got to her. She was never bothered about what I say or do. Turns out, she actually does feel something.

“You should have said something at least.” I stated to her in a low voice as my aim wasn’t to wake her up.

No matter the manner what happened between us might point towards a change in our relationship, I can’t do much until I’m sure about what I feel, until I’m done and over with the past. Till then, wait a little bit Harieth... a little bit longer.

I leaned closer and placed a soft kiss on her forehead before eventually finding my way out of the room.

Harieth

I applied a light massage to my temples as if that would ease out the slight headache I had from the hangover. I don’t think I can remember when last I drank so much. Perhaps, I should have eased up a bit on the drinks.

A sigh escaped my lips in frustration as I can’t seem to recall how I got home. Last I remember is talking to Emerson, the rest is quite fuzzy. I truly hate this after effect I have. Perhaps, if I try hard enough, I might recall what actually happened.

“Harieth.”

Instantly, I looked up to meet Stella’s disapproving look. What now?

“I’ve been calling you for a minute now. Why are you so zoned out?”

“You were?” I questioned a bit rhetorically and she folded her arms across her chest and glared at me.
I looked away from her, not quite in the mood to act out our usual drama this morning.

“I guess the word sorry would suffice so... sorry.” I sort of apologised without looking up to her.

A momentary silence took over followed by a sigh on her part which told me she was loss for strength for our usual routine as I was which was great for once.

“Here.” She pointed to a file I hadn’t noticed was already on my desk.

“I need you to fax those documents, the information of where and to who is already written in there so take care of it now.” She emphasised on the last word and I had to daringly meet her eyes.

Without wasting any more time, she turned away and met up with another employee. I rolled my eyes away from her. One of these days, I’m going to show her the real me.