20

"Extra Ordinary"

Five years ago.

Vanya Hargreeves argued with her sister, Winnie, on the side of a old street. It was barely morning, brisk with autumn air, and already heavy with tension.

"No no- its ok Vanya! I can paint more!"

"Thats not the point!"

Winnie was visiting from France for just the week. A collection of her paintings were bought and put into a huge showcase back in her home town. She was staying with Vanya until the grand opening.

That 'grand opening' was supposed to be yesterday.

"You cant just let him walk all over you Winnie!" Vanya snapped at her. Her fingers clenched around her violin case as she said this.

"No no its ok! He's just looking out for me... its ok! Its ok.." Winnie pleaded with her. Her smile looked crooked and broken on her young teenage face.

"Dad burned all of your paintings Winnie." Vanya said softly.

Vanya had to look away from Winnie. The teen looked too out of place on that dirty street.. it just didn't look right..

Pale skin, elegant blonde hair, and a dark blue dress tailored to perfection. By her feet sat shiny black luggage, new and expensive. Winnie was like royalty in the slums.

"No I know that- I know that." Winnie tried to catch her eye but failed, "But maybe I accidentally painted the future again!"

The night before Winnie was supposed to cut the ribbon on her personal art exhibit, the two women got a call. A terrible fire broke out.. all of her paintings were lost.

When they arrived to see if it was really true, they found Reginald Hargreeves among the crowd of onlookers. That was when it became clear; he was the cause for the fires.

Winnie had been trying to defend his actions to Vanya ever since. Trying and failing.

"Winnie they were of me! Thats why you are staying with me- remember? They were of me playing the violin." Vanya's voice cracked.

"I can paint you another one baby girl.." Winnie tried again. She delicately reached out and brushed Vanya's hand. She recoiled.

"No! No you're so stupid! Dad has been torturing us since childhood and- and you just don't see it."

Winnie stared at her for a long time.

Stupid. Dumb. She was dumb. She was stupid. The more she mulled over Vanya's words, the more she came to understand them. From her perspective, Winnie was rather stupid. Even with all her success.

It didn't matter how many things she did, Winnie would always be stupid in Vanya's eyes. She didn't know that. It was nice knowing where she stood. No matter if it stung in the moment.

That was ok. It was ok. Loving her family always came with consequences.

"I love you Vanya." Winnie said with her goofy smile and lazy eyes. She then stepped off the curb and hailed a taxi.

"So- so you see? You aren't acting rational- and-" Vanya stuttered, and was cut off by the wave of a hand.

A taxi driver stopped and helped Winnies luggage into the boot of the car. Winnie stood just below Vanya on the road.