14

Run Boy Run

"Shit." Five cursed.

He and Winnie had only just stepped out of Vanya's apartment. Winnie was hooked at his elbow, hugging his upper arm. This left him the ability to put his hands back into his pockets.

There, in the crevice of the cotton, he found something he had almost forgotten. A particular glass eye.

"What?" Winnie asked. Her eyebrows pinched as she looked beside her.

Five pulled out his hand and offered Winnie the eye. Delicately, she plucked it from his palm and stared down at it in morbid curiosity.

"I found it in-" Five hesitated for only a moment before deciding the best answer.

He was not about to tell Winnie he had pried the eye from Luthers cold, dead, hands. He couldn't do that to her.

"In some wreckage. Whoever owns has something to do with the apocalypse."

"Can we track it?" Winnie asked. She flipped the eye over to reveal a printed barcode.

"From where?" Five rubbed the bridge of his nose. "Privacy laws prevent all the records from being publicly accessible."

Winnie smiled lazily, "Then lets just go to the source. Theres a building downtown that makes prosthetics. We can check it out."

She handed back the eye and Five glanced at her with a raised eyebrow. He felt the familiar tug of suspicion, that Winnie was much smarter than she let on. He nodded all the same.

"Well, then I believe our trip to Delores has been officially delayed." Five commented and pocketed the eye once more.

"Noo!" Winnie whined. "Now I have to cancel our brunch reservations!"

And just like that, the tug of suspicion about Winnies true intellect; disappeared.

"You didn't make any reservations."

"Good thing too, because I would of had to cancel them."

**
Winnie and Five stood besides one another at the center of a big white room. A floor-to-ceiling window was at one end with a secretary perched in front of it.

A doctor entered the room from his office casually, but then made a quick B-line toward the two teens. They weren't a clients, so who were they?

"Uh.. can I help you?" He asked in confusion.

Five turned toward him and then nudged Winnie. She jumped slightly, as she was dozing off, and begrudgingly turned her attention to the man.

"Hi!" Winnie saw his lab coat and suddenly grinned, "Whats up doc?"

Five wasted no time to pinch her side. She bubbled out a giggle, knowing full well she deserved that. She was nothing, if not opportunistic.

"We need to know who this belongs to." Five said. He pulled out the glass eye to show to the doctor.

"Where did you get this?" The doctor asked. A mix of condescension and suspicion leaked into his tone.