11

We only see each other at Weddings and Funerals

France, 2008.

Winnie Hargreeves stared out her apartment window passively. She could just barely see the water twinkle over all the roofs. Thick black power lines strung between each alleyway like webbing.

The birds never seemed to move from those power lines.

Winnie didn't notice. Her eyes glazed right over them. A harsh pounding sounded between her ears, cutting her focus to its minimum.

"Winnie?" A tired voice called.

A young boy, barely a freshman in college, was sprawled across dark sheets. His hair askew and clothes...nonexistent.

Winnie breathed in deeply and turned her attention to him. She pushed her crazy blonde hair behind her ears, smearing orange paint across her cheeks.

"You have paint.. everywhere.." The boy said slowly.

It was true. Winnie wore only a white T-shirt and had obnoxious orange paint splattered up to her elbows and across her legs.

"Yeah.." Winnie nodded, "yeah- sorry Nathan. I had to paint."

Nathan said nothing and took to joining her at the windowsill. The trek wasn't long, Winnie didn't own a big apartment.

"What were you painting?" Nathan asked.

Winnie shrugged helplessly and turned back to the window. The sun was setting. The little sliver of water looked on fire. Her eyes watered and her headache got worse the more she tried concentrating on the view.

"Hey baby you have to stop this.." Nathan said gently.

"What do you mean?" Winnie asked. Her eyebrows pinched and she started rubbing the tops of her arms uncomfortably.

He was starting something and Winnie didn't like it. Hopefully she could just apologize the way he likes her to and get over it.

"I mean this Winnie! Look at you!" Nathan shouted. Winnie winced at his volume, the headache was getting worse.

"Im.. ok." Winnie defended.

Nathan snatched at one of her arms, tugging it closer to him and into view. He pointed harshly at the orange paint still dripping down to her elbow. Winnie didn't look.

"I just-" Winnie began but then deflated "I dont know. Im sorry."

Nathan sighed, bringing the smaller girl closer to him into a hug. He rubbed her lovingly and she trembled lightly.

"So you'll stop? You wont do your freaky painting anymore?" Nathan asked. He felt her stop shaking just a little so he pulled away.

What he saw wasn't the puppy-dog apologetic face that he was expecting.
(The one that made her look so cute) Instead, her face was afflicted with confusion. Annoyance struck him at the sight.

This was why he didn't like dating younger girls. They were so stupid sometimes. Why couldn't they just react like they were supposed to?

But he had slipped and said something new. Winnie wasn't just going to apologize and leave it be now.

"You think my painting is freaky?" She asked.

"Of course its freaky!" Nathan scoffed. The annoyance was growing almost as quickly as her headache. He stood up from the window and crossed his arms, looking down at the blonde girl.