12

Run Boy Run

Vanya Hargreeves thumbed her keys as she walked down the dark corridor. She wasted no time in stuffing the bronze one into its door-lock and pushing open her entrance.

She was not expecting her living room lamp to switch on as she opened said door. Her blood spiked with adrenaline immediately, but just as quickly did she recognize the faces illuminated by the lamp.

"Jesus!" Vanya cried. It was not jesus.

Little Winnie was curled in Fives lap. Her head rested on the crook of his neck and she was strangely pressing both her thumbs to Fives forearms. Both were noticeably relaxed in their position.

"You should put locks on your windows." Five said.

Vanya sighed and accepted both their being there. She closed her door and set her keys down. "I live on the second floor."

"Rapists can climb." Five shrugged.

"And they would. You're beautiful." Winnie added lazily. Five nodded and rubbed Winnies shoulders.

Somethings never change, Vanya mused internally. Five and Winnie were an excellent example of that.

Five always used to say something brutally out of place and far too wise. Winnie would then follow it up with a sweeter and ill-placed sentiment that used to make Vanya's heart ache. All the while, they basked in each others touches.

"You both are so weird." Vanya said. She sat down on her couch and watched them carefully.

Her eyes narrowed at Winnies hands to see the dark red saturating her thumbs. Winnie was putting pressure on something.. but what was it?

"Is that blood?" Vanya asked.

Five looked down at Winnie and she looked up. Her eyes were soft in support and that was all he needed went back at Vanya.

"Its nothing."

"Why are you here?" Vanya followed up. The question was preloaded, of course. She knew as well as Winnie that Five was going to deflect anything about his injury.

Five sighed, "We've decide you are the only one that we can trust."

"Winnie too?"

Five, she could believe with such a statement. Winnie Hargreeves? Not so much. Not when the girl famous for being stupidly in love with her family despite everything.

"I love all of my family very much." Winnie interjected. "Trust, on the other hand, is not mutually exclusive."

Vanya blinked in confusion. That made no sense. But it was Winnie, and the girl never made a lot of sense when it came to family.

"Why me?"

"Because you're ordinary." Five said.

"Because you'll listen." Winnie translated knowingly. Social grace or not, Winnie was fairly adept at speaking the language her love ones needed to hear.

Vanya nodded mutely, easily convinced. She pulled herself off the couch and briskly walked somewhere back in the apartment. She reemerged a minute later with her arms full of medical supplies.

Vanya let the supplies spill from her arms and onto the coffee table. Her eyes drifted to Winnie's and the girl hesitantly released the pressure on Fives arm.

Vanya breathed in deeply and rolled up Fives sleeve. Blood spilled over from the gnarly cut and Vanya could almost see bone.

"Are you sure you want to do this baby girl?" Winnie asked.