1. Our First Encounter

Location:  The Streets

(you're not allowed to know where I live. DON'T ASK!)

***

There have always been weird old legends passed on through the old folks that if you were to walk into the woods at night or out on your street, something would come out of the shadows and run towards you. They always told us these stories when we went camping out, around a hot campfire where we melted marshmallows.

The legend that we never expected to be true was one of the weirdest.  "Sneaking in the shadows, two children ran away from home, hoping to go to a new city far, far away. But between them and that new land was a forest so vast it all but swallowed them up. As they walked, they were followed by the lady. White as snow, dark as night and as deadly as hellfire she wanted them to do her works. The kids unknowing, kept walking, being led by the only lit path between the trees. When they finally came upon the bones caught in the bear trap and refused to look at her, she smited them and rode away, her white horse with her. Unforgiving she was and still is to this very day."

All the old folks tell you that if you did see her to 'Never lock eyes with a spirit so powerful' for it meant death was on your back. And that was evident in the stories that they shared. My grandmother told me to never leave my house at night because she feared any of the evil would see me and follow but I believed that they were just... fairytales.

Why would a lady chase you in the middle of the night? Why would a guy dig a hole to catch people? Why would a ghost want to haunt an old boring house? I would ask plenty of questions but I soon learnt that the stories of this fierce lady and some very weird creatures were not myths told to scare kids but reality. (as you already know)

Of course they also said the headless horseman would drag you by your feet until your head came off too so how are we supposed to believe them? Who does that kind of thing? And zombies too? Come on. Who believes in zombies? Who?

"Let's go try it tonight." Dante, my best friend, had told us guys during lunch hour that day and we had laughed because though Dante was the tallest of us, he was a coward. We had been talking about camping out at our old spot when the lady had become a topic of discussion.

Five guys at school and what do we talk about? Ghosts.

That says a whole lot about our role models.

"I'm serious. If there is a lady then maybe, just maybe, she's the beautiful lady of my dreams!" Dante said dramatically, "Besides, it's just one of the crazy lies they tell us so that we won't sneak out at night. Duh. So, let's go tonight." The twisties at the side of his head looked more clownish than ever. No one made an attempt to tell him though. His big sister Dorian probably put them there.

He seemed to really want to go out and being the biggest coward in school, for us anyway, it made us look bad not to want to. "Are you chickening out? Big babies!" He shouted and all the other students around us started to stare. His voice seemed to be echoing off the walls of my cranium.

Kyle shot us glares and continued silently munching on his lunch. Kyle and Dante are both sixteen years old and practically seniors at our school yet they never miss a lunch with us. The other seniors avoid younger students as much as possible. Our town is really small and old but teens will find anything "better" to do than school. Our parents though, would kill us if we ever skipped.