3. Moving in Darkness

Location: At School (you guys know the rules, don't ask where)

***

Josh and Dante have been talking about "stuff" for the past week and always act as though Jonathan and I aren't right there at the lunch table.

We all sit together during lunch and hang out; we also walk to school together and live close by. Plus, almost all our parents have been working at the same company since we were kids, and they had introduced us to each other.

'Mark are you paying attention?'

I looked over to see Jonathan's exasperation. That's what Kyle calls the face he makes. He knew that I was lost again but I couldn't help it.

There's this girl in my class who is more adorable than puppies. I turned back to stare at her from just the thought.

'Mark, if you like looking at Jaela so much then why don't you just get her to help you?'

At once, I sat up, straightened my glasses and looked down at the book.

'Finally.' Jonny mumbled as I tried to concentrate again.

We were getting into a bit of algebra when Dante interrupted.

'Alert!' He shouted before yelling 'Ouch!' and sitting back down on his seat rubbing his ribs.

Kyle has liked Jaela's sister Kendra since...longer than I've known Jaela could smile so pretty. Yet, Kendra had gotten together with Jonny's brother since they knew what a relationship entailed.

Basically, a boy and a girl, as I've recently found out.

Jonathan sighed and I knew that he was never going to help me with math again. Now he was distracted too and grossed out and exasperated from the look on his face.

As we always did after Dante yells alert, we turned around and looked over at the couple walking in, holding hands and staring at each other. (Josh says that it's weird they never fall down and bust their lips. Dante just told him to be quiet because it's cute.)

As per ritual, Kyle huffed before snatching up his lunch and leaving the room, his face pretty much tomato red. We all packed up our stuff and followed him, just... after I took one more glance at Jaela seated across the room, catching her gaze and turning tomato red myself.

We went to the back of the school where we waited out the rest of the lunch hour, looking at JJ's football practice. Josh spent that entire time commenting his confusion at how a ball could make his brother popular.

Classes started off slow afterwards with my math teacher explaining triangles to us through Pythagoras' Theorem. I was concentrating hard on what we were doing, hypotenuse squared and opposite squared and adjacent squared until I noticed a blonde in front of me.

She turned back and asked for an eraser and I froze for a second.

'Sure.' I breathed out before handing her mine.

'Thank you.' She nodded and mouthed the words silently, SMILING AT ME, before turning back around.

I leaned my chin on my hand, my pencil and books and squares forgotten. I felt a quick beat in my chest and suddenly I was engulfed by the color of her hair.

Does she know that blonde shines so golden in the light?

Dazzling. Absolutely captivating.

I started to count the visible strands of brown when I heard a thud on my desk.