Chapter 4 - When Life Hits You, Punch Harder (Hale)

Bad Reputation - Avril Lavigne

I woke uncomfortable and stiff, as always. It took me eightteen years to finally get my own room, but the bed still sucked. I kicked off the blanket and shook out the rubber band in my hair. My dark hair fell and I felt it hit my waist. I could hear the busy street outside. After three years of bugged Miss Darren for the attic, she finally gave it to me. It was a small room, but it was big enough for me. A bed in one wall, with a big window on the opposite wall. A dresser was settled in one corner, that held my handful of clothes. Tugging on some ripped jeans and a black top, I braided my hair back into a singular French braid. I knelt down by my bed and pried up the loose floorboard and took out my camera and a small canister.  I took the cap of the canister and shook out my necklace. It was too special to leave unprotected when I was sleeping. Another girl would try to steal it, along with the camera that I bought four years ago at a pawn shop. I secured the onyx crystal pendant around my neck. I slipped my camera into my bag. As I walked downstairs, I could hear the other girls getting ready, and starting their morning chores.

"Miss Hale! Stay right there!" Miss Darren snapped from behind me. I stopped and turned around with a sly smile.

"Good morning Miss Darren," I greeted in a sickly sweet voice.

"You know it's funny, we've had girls here for a few months that go home polite lady's. You have been here your whole life yet you have no manners at all,"

"Thank you for that insightful ponder, good day," I said with more venom than sweetness.
"Where do you think you're going? Just because it's your birthday doesn't mean you get to skip out on your chores,"

"Aww,I didn't think you remembered,"

"Watch it, girl! I've been counting down the days till I can throw you out of here,"

"Love you too, "I could see her fighting a smile. That was the relationship I shared with Miss Darren. Deep down she cared, but she had a reputation to uphold and so did I.

"Upstairs bathroom, now," I groaned and brushed past her. Another girl was up there. I couldn't remember her name, so many girls came and went I didn't bother to get to know them.  Rich parents dropping off their bratty daughters to have them straightened out. Week after week, I got tired of it quickly, so did Miss Darren, which was why she was always in a bad mood.

"How nice of you to show up once I'm almost done," the girl snapped.

I gritted my teeth.

"I'm curious, did your parents drop you here for your bad manners or poor cleaning skills?" I retorted.

She glared at me. "Like your one to talk. Aren't you the girl who's parents dropped you here day one? I guess they just knew you would need life treatment," she smirked. I pushed her against the wall and pressed my forearm against her throat. I could feel her throat gasp for more air. "That's right I've been here for a long time. Do you think cleaning toilets is bad? I can make your life a living hell," I pressed harder against her throat. "Or I might just end it, here and now," I let her fear spread inside her and then backed off. She took a deep breath before rushing out of the room. Muttering that I was a crazy bitch. Great really handled that well, nice going Hale. For the millionth time in my life I wondered why I couldn't just calm down, why was I always so hot-headed and ready to start a fight?

I sighed and sat my bag in the counter. She wasn't wrong. The bathroom was practically clean. I picked up the towels and cleaning supplies. I put away the cleaners and dumped the towels into the hamper. The girls were all gone probably in class. It was quiet now, I hated the quiet. It made it easy to hear the whispers.