Chapter 24 - If You Have A Secret, Don't Tell Us (Ryker)

Say Something - Justin Timberlake

The hospital was always cold, and smelled like antiseptic. I didn't like coming here, but Mom forgot her lunch at home and I felt bad that she'd have to eat the sham of food from the cafeteria.

Vaguely familer nurses gave me small smiles as I passed by, coworkers of my mom that I should know the names of by now but didn't care enough to actually remember.

One of them stopped infront of me and gave a laugh.

"Looking for your mom?" She asked with a smile.

"Yeah, have you seen her?" I asked looking past her shoulder.

"She was checking in with our newest comatose, should be down that hallway," She explained.

I nodded and at her pager started to go off.

She gave me a dismissing nod and walked off.

I followed down the hall and almost ran into her as she opened the door right in front of me.

She pressed a hand to her heart and gave a long breath.

"Oh! Ryker?" she compoased herself and caught her breathing. "You scared me! What are you doing here?"

I held up her lunch bag and smiled. Her eyes softend and took the bag.

"Thanks,"

From inside the room a friendly female voice came closer.

"Hey Nurse Griff- Oh hey Ryker," Jade stepped out and looked surprised to see me, I returned the gaze.

"Jade, hey," I greeted.

"You two know each other?" Mom asked with a raised eyebrow looking between us.

"Um yeah sort of," I muttered.

"Oh, I had no idea, how nice," She gave a tight lipped smile, she had more questions, I could tell.

I gave a weak smile

"Well, I should go," Jade stated, adjusting her purse on her shoulder.

"Let us walk you out, I'd love to hear how you two met," Mom smiled.

She could be so nosy when she wanted to be.

"Okay," Jade squeezed out.

It was a quiet walk to the front entrance, the silence was lifted once we got there, there was a very nosy family at the check-in desk.

"Auggie shush okay? Hi where looking for room 128?" A woman with graying blonde hair was holding a whimpering toddler on her hip asked the front desk lady. What looked to be her husband was standing beside her rubbing her shoulder. A shorter girl was standing behind them, she kinda looked like Peyton.

Oh no.

Peyton locked eyes with me

"Jade? Ryker?" she called, standing on her tiptoes to get a better look.

Her mom looked over and followed her gaze.

"Jade and Ryker? Your siblings?" her mom asked quite loudly, Peyton shushed her and looked around nervously, making sure no one was listening.

"Excuse me what?" Mom looked at me with dagger eyes.

I looked around for the closest wall to ram my head into.

Peyton's mother handed the child to her husband and dragged Peyton over to us.

"Hi, are you Jade or Ryker's mother?" her mom asked my mom.