Chapter 30 - I Meet My Mom And Grow Tomato's (Ryker)

Brother By The Rural Alberta Advantage

She held me tight to her like if she let go I'd scatter away like dust in the wind.
"My baby you came back to me," She pulled herself back, gripping my shoulders and looking over me.
I've never tried harder to keep my anxiety under control. The was a lot of attention for me and I couldn't say I was exactly loving it.
Her eyes were wide as they slowly went up and down my body. Taking in every possible detail.
She was where I got my looks no doubt. The sways tanned skin, curly brown hair, lanky form, though she somehow made it look graceful, where I made it look awkward.
"Sorry," Pulled away and wiped tears from her eyes. "I probably look like a madwoman, um please follow me. I'm sure you have lots of questions,"
She picked up her dropped basket and lead us away  past the main room to a carved out living room, it housed old furniture and in the center burned a fire, the walls were still uncut stone, jutting out in different places but I guess beggars can't be choosers.
"Please take a seat," Layla extending a hand, I applauded her hosting skills considering she probably hasn't seen another human being in over a decade.
Layla seated herself on a dusty armchair. I heisted but sat on the cushy ottoman next to her. She gave me an appreciative smile.
Jade and Peyton and Ivory took the couch to the left. Lev led Hale to the love seat on the right. She made a point to sit as far as she could from Lev on the small couch.
"So," Layla started and rubbed her hands together, and gazed at all of us. "To get in you would need a very powerful dark witch, so which one of you is Julia's daughter?"
Her eyes still wandered and landed on Hale, who seemed to recoil at the unexpected attention.
"Like I had to ask, you look just like her," She flicked her eyes to Lev and she narrowed her eyes with a tilt of her head. "You look so familiar, I just can't place it,"
Lev shifted slightly and kept her face still.
"Before the coven fell my father owned a woodshop, I used to help him,"
A bright smile spread across her cracked lips and nodded.
"Yes, Marcus! How is he doing?"
A veiled question to ask if he survived the rising.
"He died a few years ago, but before that well. We adjusted fairly well to living in the city,"
She frowned and nodded and then turned to Peyton trying to bring cheer back to the conversation.
"That mean's your Anna's daughter, right? It's hard to miss the red hair,"
Insitivly Peyton ran a hand through her hair that was running down her shoulders in loose curls.
"So your Emma's then. It's nice to finally see your faces," she laughed and the kettle near the fire started to whistle.
She looked over to Ivory.
"I'm sorry but you I don't know,"
Ivory gave a small shrug and smiled.
"I'm nobody really. I'm just here to help,"
Layla got up and grabbed the kettle, pouring the hot water into a chipped teacup.
Jade got up and started to pace, biting on her thumbnail.
"I'm sorry I know this must be amazing for you, but we are short on time. I mean what happened? You supposed to be dead,"
Layla nodded understandingly and dipped her herbs into the teacup.
"I gave birth to Ryker last, so I missed most of the fight, by the time I could force myself to walk, Anna was long gone and I was able to just make it out of the cave to see Emma protecting a child. The child got away, she didn't. Julia appeared and dragged me back in and warded us in. She was out of her mind, going on about spirits and realms, finalizing her plans, and a whole bunch of crazy nonsense. She went back in that gods damned room and never came back out. For all I know her body is still in there," Layla finished and took a long sip of her drink, leaning back in her chair like this was a regular thing.
"You never went in and checked?" Peyton asked appalled her mouth open.
Layla shook her head.
"I couldn't. After Julia went in there the spirits sealed it off. Whatever Julia did, I don't think she was supposed to,"
We were all silent for a few seconds.
Then Layla turned to Peyton who was fidgeting with her hands and had on a still placid look on her face.
"I think Anna's still alive. As horrible as it sounds, though all the horrible things he's done, he thinks he's doing the right thing. He still loved Anna, and once upon a time, she loved him too,"
It was hard to believe considering she ran away and locked herself into a cave to get away from him. Talk about couples quarrel.
"Do you think he's holding her captive?" Peyton asked with slight enthusiasm, her eyes sparkled a little.
"It's possible.  I've spent the last eightteen years held up in this cave, Julia even warded against portals. I've begged those sprits till my throat was raw to tell me what was happening out there, but nothing. My knowledge only extends to the night of the rising. I wish could tell you more,"
I didn't realize what I was doing until it was done, I reached out and took my birth mother's hand. She smiled and squeezed her hand into mine.
"If you all don't mind I'd like to spend some time with my son,"
My sisters and all nodded and Layla got up, taking me with her.