Chapter 21 - Just Some Sisterly Bonding And Slight Invasion Of Privacy

Coffins - MisterWives

* Hale *

Like promised Lev took things slow,
She kept her distance when we together, never pushed on to sensitive subjects, all in all, she was perfect. That didn't stop the little voice in the back of my head stop screaming to run. Sometimes I had to grip something to keep myself in place. The sparks that tried to tie me to her were terrifying. I wanted to trust her, I wanted to give in to it all, it would be so much easier, yet every night since I met her, I would fall into the same nightmare.

Happy, so incredibly happy, it would change, sometimes we ran through the forest chasing each other, sometimes we were in her home, snuggling on the couch, it didn't matter because it always ended the same. The vibrant colors would dim to a sluggish grey, Lev's light and heart-lifting smile would disappear and her eyes would harden, and she would grab me and kill me. Stab, drown, choke, didn't matter as long as I held her gaze until death claimed me, then I'd wake up always on the couch of her apartment. I'd go looking for her, the same path, through the kitchen to the hallway down her bedroom, where I'd find her with another girl wrapped around her.

Then I wake up for real, sometimes on the floor. My wrist would burn and ache from the sliver bracelet, my eyes red and swollen from silent tears.

This morning was no different.

I pulled myself off the floor just as Miss Darren came barging in.

"Hale, do you have any idea of how late you-" the sentence died off in her mouth as she took me in crouched on the floor.

I swore for a split second her stone-cold face softened a bit, but she snapped up her features so quick I couldn't tell if it actually happened.

She took in a collective sigh.

"You're late to breakfast, again,"

I nodded and fully stood up, brushing my hair out of my face.

"Ok, I'll be down in a second," I turned to pull out some clothes expecting her to strut out like she normally did.

Instead, she took a few tentative steps forward.

"You know Hale, we've noticed your change in behavior lately, and well we've tried to let your night terrors pass but well they're starting to bother the other girls. If you need to talk-"

I spun around in a flash, my eyes stormy.

"I don't need anything from you! I'm fine! Just get out, I said I'd be down in a second," I snapped.

She cleared her throat and nodded sharply.

"Very well then," She closed the door as she stepped out.

I turned back around and knocked all the photo's off the top of my dresser.

"Fuck!" I muttered as tears formed in my eyes.

Before everything happened weeks ago, I hadn't cried since I was twelve. Now it seemed like an everyday thing.

I felt more, my numbing walls seemed to be wearing off and emotion tore at me. It sucked, and I wanted nothing more than to go back to how it was before. When my fragile self was protected by layers of walls and defenses, now it was like they were being served up on a silver platter.

I wiped my eyes and grabbed a pair of jeans and top and changed. I tugged on some boots and left.

I wasn't exactly sure where I was going until I was outside Jack and Mayline's manor.

I went to knock but then the door creaked open. I stepped in, the lights were all off but the wall candles flickered on the walls.

"Hello?" I called out balling up my firsts.