Chapter 53

Draco's POV

Well that was quick. Now what? Go back to school? I guess that's where we're headed cause I'm in the back again following Harry, Hermione, Ginny, and Ron out to the middle of nowhere. It's been about an hour since we've left the Ministry and we're only in the suburbs. We're almost out in the country but not yet. Hermione gasps suddenly.

"Oh my gosh!" She exclaims as she frantically looks around. Finally, her gaze settles upon a house just down the street. She takes off running. Everyone else is too shocked and confused to go after her so I start sprinting after her. I run right up next to her and grab her shoulders to stop her.

"What are you doing!?" I ask, worried.

"That's my house. I need to go in," she says, trying to get around me.

"No," I say firmly. "We need to get back to school. Before they catch up." Hermione looks up at me with a sad look in her eyes. I have to look away. The rest of the gang has run up beside us.

"What's - going - on?" Ron asks between panting breaths.

"Let me go, Draco!" Hermione says, louder.

"'Mione, where are you going?" Ginny asks.

"My own home! Right there!" Hermione points to the two story white house a couple doors down.

"You can't! What if they catch up? We need to get to school, where you're safe. They want to kill you, you know. You were the muggle born who interfered with their plan more than the other muggle borns, so they want you. We don't want to loose you again," Ginny says. I feel Hermione resist a little less. I nod at Ginny to signal that it kind of worked.

"Yeah, Hermione. Do you honestly think that we would come out here, risk our lives, save you, only to have you be captured again?" Ron says. Hermione stops trying all together. She brings her hands up to her face and wipes it across her eyes. I don't know what she's crying about. Not seeing her home and parents or what Ron just said. I pick her up and carry her as we walk. She buries her head in my shoulder.

About 15 or 20 minutes later, I swear she's asleep. Harry and Ron are leading. Ginny's trying to keep up, but is third wheeling. The leaders turn off into a small forest. They find a clearing for where we can stop. I gently lay Hermione on the ground as Harry sets up the tent. We're staying in the clearing overnight, then leaving in the morning. I sit down next to Hermione and shift her so that her head's on my shoulder. She shifts her head so she's more comfortable, I guess. I kiss the side of her head. I see a small smile form on her face. I look up at the sky. The sun is setting. It has to be like 7. Maybe 7:15.

Hermione rests for maybe 10 minute before I gently wake her for a late dinner.

"Hermione, are you hungry? You haven't eaten since breakfast," I say. She tries to open her eyes. I kiss her forehead. She fully opens her eyes and looks at me. I kiss her on the mouth.

"Of course I'm hungry," she says when we break away. I grin and take her in the tent. Ron, Ginny, and Harry are sitting in the living area, talking.

"Have a nice nap, 'Mione?" Ginny asks. Hermione nods her head. Ron kind of stares at us. I can't tell if it's a good stare, annoyed stare, bad stare, or what. Harry glances at us then returns to his story. Hermione and I walk into the kitchen. Hermione finds some food or something and starts to prepare it. I sit at the dining table. I don't know how to cook, but I can hunt. My father and I had tried it once when I was 7 or 8. It was shortly before he became a serious and devoted Death Eater. I had gotten the hang of it pretty easily and sometimes went out on my own in secret. My dad found my supplies one day and destroyed them. I haven't hunted in so many years. Hermione comes to sit at the table across from me. She rests her feet on top of mine. I grin. She eats whatever she made with a smile on her face. I knew that this year was going to be different, but I hadn't expected for my life to be turned completely upside down.