Chapter 59

Hermione's POV

"I'd rather not see this. So let me know when you're done," someone says. Shit. I left my door unlocked. But it has to be Ginny since 1) the voice is feminine 2) no one knows of me and Draco and 3) if this was anyone else, they would have a heart attack. Draco pulls away. I roll my eyes. I spin around to face Ginny who is facing the other wall with her hands over her eyes.

"You're good," I say. Draco has his arms around my waist and his chin resting on my head.

"Oh good. Do you want to walk to the Great Hall with us?" Ginny asks. I'm assuming she's referring Harry, Ron and herself as 'us'. I nod.

"Sure. It'd look bad if we didn't," I say.

"Okay. Meet you in the common room!" Ginny says then skips out of the room. I turn to face Draco.

"Don't take any offense if we pretty much ignore you through dinner," I say.

"Don't worry, I won't. Do what has to be done. Egos are all that matter," he says sarcastically.

"But I mean it. 'Kay?"

"Of course." He nods. Draco turns and walks back to his room. I check my hair in the mirror one more time before heading into the common room. I exit my room moments after Draco. I touch my Head Girl badge on my sweater. Draco has the same outfit as me but in Slytherin colors and a Head Boy badge.

"You guys ready?" Ginny asks. I nod and the boys mutter yeses. Ginny and I lead, Ron and Harry behind us and Malfoy 5th wheeling behind them. We're a couple minutes late which is as fashionably late as you can get at Hogwarts.

The five of us rush in the Great Hall before the doors close. Draco heads off to the Slytherin table and the other four of us quickly sit down at the Griffindor table. I can hear whispers from the other tables and my name floating around. I sigh and stay quiet as McGonagall tries to get everyone's attention.

"Now," she says when the noise dies down. "Tonight, we celebrate Miss Hermione Granger coming back to Hogwarts. I've personally heard her story and that's a story that no one should have to go through. Miss Granger wouldn't have made it back alive it it weren't for four of her classmates. Ginny and Ron Weasley, Harry Potter, and Draco Malfoy." Whispers erupt the room.

"Now, before you go judging-" McGonagall starts.

"Hermione and Malfoy are so not together!" Ginny shouts. A few whispers of relief come about the crowd. I catch Draco's eye. I make probably the worst split second decision of all-time. I get up at the same time as Draco and I dash over to him. All eyes follow me. I stand so close to him that our faces almost touch. I stand up on my tiptoes and steady myself by setting my hands on his shoulders and give Draco a kiss on the lips. A wave of relief comes over me when I feel him place his hands on my hips an kiss me back.

A girls' shriek is audible above the buzz if chatter. I want to kiss Draco more, but I don't want to scar anyone too badly. I break away from Draco. The corners of his mouth are curling upward and it turns into the cites shyest smiles on earth. I feel my face starting to get red. I turn around and quickly walk back go my seat. Ginny squeezes my arm in approval. I wonder how McGonagall is going to shut us up. I glance at Ron. He looks as if he could throw up. Suddenly te room is silent.

"Until you can prove yourselves to be quiet, mature young adults, you will remain silent," McGonagall says. I've felt this feeling too much in my life. She used the silencing curse. Once she started talking, I felt the curse lift. I bet no one else knew.

"... Now enjoy this meal and you now may talk amongst yourselves." I hear McGonagall conclude. Food appears on platters. And someone jabs my hip. I turn to find the shrieker. Pansy Parkinson.

"Lift that curse or creat an antidote for the potion!" Pansy demands.

"What?" I ask.

"There's no way he could've actually taken a liking to you. No way he could fancy you, mudblood," Pansy sneers.

"I don't like that word anymore,"'a voice says from behind me. I turn to see Draco.

"But you were using it like every other word last year! And what happened? To us? To you?" Pansy says.

"Yes, I did use it a lot but I think you should know that people change. Whether drastically or steadily, people change. And what about 'us'? The last I knew of an 'us' between us was two weeks into the school year. I thought I made that clear," Draco says. Pansy is probably going to punch him. But instead, she leaves in a big huff.

"I knew she would come go you. But I should probably get back to my table," Draco says.

"Okay," I say. I watch him sit down. He catches my eye and winks. Here comes my tomato face...