Joke: Black And White

Long ago, the world we live in used to be black and white. No colors existed and life was dull. People hardly ever smiled. They did the same thing for decades with no entertainment. Women gathered plants and seeds, and did household chores. Men hunted and fed the family. That was their jobs. It was already set for them the day they came into this world.

But one little boy Thomas, was special. He had one eye which saw black and white, and one eye that saw color. His mother told him to keep it a secret and to tell no one about his sight. His mother wanted her child to be like all the other boys. To grow up and get married and raise a family in this world of black and white. But Thomas felt differently. He didn’t hunt like the other boys. Instead he would hide out in the trees and observe all the things he saw, and go home telling his mother he didn’t catch anything.

As the years passed, his secret became harder to keep in. Eventually the whole town knew about his sight, and shook their heads as if they were sorry for his mother for having a son who makes up such obscured stories. One day, a group of boys told Thomas to kill a bird. They picked up a stone and handed it to Thomas. Hands shaking, he readied himself to throw. Though, he found could not do it. If only the other boys could see what he saw. The vibrant colors of the little blue bird. The boys laughed at Thomas’s pathetic self. And Thomas became angry. Why was he to be the one with this gift? Is it even a gift at all? It was more like a curse to him. Why couldn’t he be like everyone else?

Then, as if someone beyond this realm heard his thoughts, the trees around him rustled, and the ground began to shake. He was astonished to see a little basket rise out of the ground. He peered into the basket and saw a single paintbrush. He took it in his hands but accidently dropped it on the ground. He bent to pick it up, and as he rose, he saw the leaves were brown, yellow, orange, red, and green, scattered all over the forest floor.

What amazed him wasn’t that he saw these colors, but that he saw them through his eye that was supposed to only see black and white. He quickly covered his colored eye, and touched a tree trunk with the paintbrush. With his hand over his color-seeable eye, he stood astonished as all the different shades of brown and green spread around the tree.

He rushed into town and touched everything with his magical paintbrush. The town people stood shocked at what they were seeing. The little boy they looked down upon and thought was crazy was painting the town colors they had never seen before. For the first time, the whole town smiled and cheered for little Thomas and his magic paintbrush.

***
Ok I know this isn't really a joke but I like this story so I decided to share it here. ♡