swaggerXreader| cut people

ship: swaggerXreader
type: normal
trigger warning: hospital, blood

Y/n's POV

It was just another day at the ER. The only people here at 3 am were drunks with cuts from broken glass and a child with stomach pain. I guess when you eat a tub of uncooked cookie dough, your stomach won't be really happy.

"Hey, (l/n), someone's coming in. They hit their head and is unconcious," a nurse said. Yeehaw, a not-so-interesting case, but at least I don't have to do stitches on drunks all night.

I walked over to the exit and grabbed a trauma gown, tying the string at the back so it won't fall off. It was pretty chilly, but I still stepped out to enjoy the fresh air until the ambulance arrived.Being a resident is fucking hard. But there's nothing I'd rather be doing than helping people. Growing up, I didn't know what I wanted to be, which made me confused and angry. Everyone already had their path they chose to follow, and I was always stuck at a crossroads. But after getting the devastating news of having severe asthma, I got into medical stuff.

Soon enough, I could hear the sirens and red lights flashed closer. I rubbed my gloved hands together for warmth and when the car stopped, I stepped closer and the back of the ambulance opened. The poor boy was still unconcious, laying on the gurney.

"What do we have?" I asked as the paramedic started to pull the gurney out of the car.

"Mason Bradford, 19 year old male suffered trauma to the head after diving into a pool from the balcony. BP's 98 over 70," she gave me all the information as we moved the patient inside. I also noticed a young man walking with us, a worried expression plastered on his face.

"And who are you?" I asked as I tried to listen to Mason's heartbeat with my sthetoscope.

"I'm Eric, Mason's friend." He introduced himself. When we got into a trauma room, I let him stay by his friend's side. I normally don't do this, but it's not crowded and also, he seems to really worry. And he's kind of cute.

"These lacs seem like they're not that deep.." I think out loud, checking his scalp. "You need us?" the paramedic, Mary, asked.

"Nah, I can handle this," I waved bye and she took off. I used a tampon to suck up the excessive blood.

"Hmm.. It seems that the cuts aren't that deep, but I want to do a head CT just in case, to rule out a hematoma or any bleeding," I smiled to his friend and pulled up the side railings on the gurney.

"I know I'm no doctor, but can I help?" his eyes were glossy, and something in my heart told me to say yes. Oh, god.. this isn't allowed.

"Okay, but shut up when someone speaks to you, understood?" I tilted my head to seem really serious. He got the message and motioned as if he zipped his mouth shut. I giggled and we were on our way to get the scans.

"So.. what's your name?" he asked. The awkwardness was kind of uncomfortable, but I'm just built that way. I get awkward.

"I'm.. (y/n). So, why did Mason jump off a balcony?"

"He's a retard sometimes. I told him no, but he didn't listen. I guess Mason wanted to do it for the content.." he chuckled to himself, but saw my confused face and continued, "Oh, we're YouTubers. Doesn't sound that exciting next to your job, but it does get extreme."

"Ahaa, YouTubers.." I fell into my thoughts. I don't really have spare time to watch any YouTube, but I hope the site isn't full of gore-y stuff like that.

"Yeah.. so, what do you do exactly? Do you like.. cut up people?" he said, chuckling. It made me giggle, and I nodded.

"I'm a resident. I do cut up people, but with supervision. After the boards this summer, I'll get to cut them up all by myself."

We turned the corner and already stood in front of the scan room. I rolled Mason into the machine and left for the control room. Hoping that nobody will see, I let Eric in and turned on the scan.

"Will Mason be alright?" Eric's voice was really sad, and I felt bad.

"To be honest, I think he'll get through. I've seen people in worse shape and their brain matter exposed, and they're still alive to this day. With that cut, he'll get out of here in no time," I gave him a comforting smile and took one of his cold hands into my warm ones, rubbing it.

"Thanks, I really hope he doesn't die because I need to yell at him for being this stupid," Eric chuckled again, I somewhat enjoyed listening to the sound of him being happy. Even if it was in situations like this.

We talked on and on, until one moment Eric was fixated on the screen. I followed with my eyes, seeing the scan of Mason's brain.

"Is that.. is that good?" his voice cracked.

"That's.. fucking amazing. Your friend is okay," I felt relieved. He let out a long sigh and smiled. I stood up and Eric followed me to retrieve Mason. After arriving to the trauma room again, I picked up a suturing kit and started stitching him up.

"I'm so happy I didn't get some old lady as a doctor today. You've really lifted my mood. And I can't thank you enough," he said.

"It's nothing, you guys reacted quick enough to get him here. And he didn't hit himself too hard. I didn't do anything," I giggled, slowly tying the silk for a secure stitch.

"You didn't do anything? You're the one holding a needle in my friend's face. I think that's something," he laughed and took a closer look of the process. I of course gave him a medical mask, just to keep the field clean.

"I guess yeah. Maybe you could.. take me out for drinks?" I really hoped he won't reject me.

"As in.. a date?" his eyes were a little bit wide with his brows raised.

"If you're down?" my heartbeat raised.

"Of course, it's a date!" he laughed, but he was interrupted by moaning. We looked down to see Mason awake.

"You're flirting with my doctor before I could hit on her? How dare you," he spoke, making us both laugh.

damn i'm lazy

and i fucking love medical series so this is one of my fave chapters