Chapter six

Louis' POV

Sand flies up and hits me directly in the face as I slide across the wet beach after the football. I catch myself and push off the ground, hot on the tail of my mate who had just taken the ball from me.

"Grounds too wet for this lad, only reason you're leadin'" I spit out as I run as fast as my legs will carry me trying to get it back. "Sure, Tommo, lets blame the sand." He lines up and takes his shot hitting just a little left of the goal. I run past him to the ball and make my way back to where he is catching his breath.

He's crouched down, taking a drink from his water bottle before looking back to me. "It's too hot for this shit anyway. Let's pack it in. Harry's got a takeout on the way." I juggle the ball back and forth on my feet. "I'd give up too if I knew I was gonna lose." I smile and he squirts some water at me, I dodge it just in time and jog back up to house flipping him the bird as I go.

The coolness of the air conditioning hits me as I enter the house and I close my eyes welcoming it's refreshing breeze. I listen for voices and make my way to the kitchen where my other friends are sitting.

Harry is sitting at the bar a notebook in hand, writing some lyrics down, no doubt. He looks up as I enter the room greeting me with a scowl. "Louis, would it kill you to take your filthy shoes off by the door instead of tracking dirt all the way through the house and into the place where we eat?" He sits his pen down and slides the book over to Liam who's looking at our exchange with humor.

I grab a bottle of water from the fridge before hopping up onto the counter and taking a long drink. "You know Harry, it might. I don't reckon we should chance it, yea?" I smile at him and his scowl only deepens. "You're so messy. You're never gonna find a woman to keep you up. She'll have your bags packed and you'll be sent right back here for us to take care of you." He throws a wadded up piece of paper at my head and it bounces off, falling to the floor.

"Bags packed, sent right back.. Thank you Harry, that works great." Liam exclaims and writes the words down. "Really keep going, the two of you bickering is making for a hit song." He smiles brightly and his eyes are almost nonexistent.

The door opens and Niall comes walking in, the ball tucked under his arm. He finishes typing out a text and slides his phone into his pocket. "I'm going for a round of golf tomorrow if any of you would like to join me?" I jump down from the counter. "Sorry Niall, I've already got plans."

"Harry? Liam?" He asks. "Ooh I would, but you know I have that one thing tomorrow." Harry turns on his stool and hurriedly leaves the room before Niall can question him further. My friend looks to Liam who hasn't been quick enough to come up with an excuse. He sighs and then stands from the counter. "Fine Niall I will go, but don't think I'm just gonna be your caddy. I want to play this time for real."

I laugh loudly and walk away to my bedroom before I can hear his response.

———————————————————

Twenty minutes of washing the sand from my body and all of its crevices, I was finally out of the shower and ready to eat.

I padded my way out of my bedroom and towards the living room where I could hear the chatter of my friends. The cool tile floor felt nice against my bare feet as I walked, the light of the sunset pouring in through the floor to ceiling windows that surrounded the room. After shimmying my way around Harry's long legs and grabbing a box of pizza, I took a seat on the oversized couch, my attention now focused on the football game playing on the television.

"I don't think they'll win." I speak with my mouth full, "They've been shit all season and I don't see them getting any better." I smirk at Niall who has now turned and is glaring at me over the top of his own pizza box.