Chapter ten

"Wh-what?" My mouth fell open and I looked back at him. His eyes had softened and he kept one hand on the small of my back and another on my knee. "What do you mean you know?" I cough slightly, wiping my eyes and nose.

"I mean, I didn't really know, I did assume however." He pauses and wipes one of the tears rolling down my face. "You said you were in town for a hen do and it's kind of hard to miss that rock." He points to my engagement ring and smiles.

"So you know how shitty I am then and I don't have to tell you." I lower my head back into my hands, the tears taking over once more. He grabbed my hands and pulled them from my face and turning me to face him, still holding onto my hands.

"Now, come on love. None of that. Here, hang on." he stood from the outdoor sofa and hurried into the house, grabbing a box of tissues and bringing them back out to me. I gratefully took them and thanked him before wiping my eyes. I probably looked like a mess.

"I'm really sorry to bring this all on you. I honestly didn't ever plan on seeing you again." The words tumble out and I hate the sound of them. "I thought that what had happened had happened and I could ignore it and get over it but I can't." My eyes burned from my mascara and I wiped away at it angrily.

He handed me a few more tissues, sitting the box in front of me now. "So, you've come to confess your love for me and tell me that you can't possibly stand to be away from me any longer and you want to run away and get married, yea?" His statement shocks me a I look at his face that is now plastered in a huge shit eating grin.

I playfully swat at his arm and let out a poor excuse of a laugh and lay back against the sofa bringing my hands up to my face and groan out. "Ughh I don't know what to do. I'm an idiot. That's the general consensus I've reach so far." I remove my hands from my eyes and he's still staring at me. His smile much softer now.

"You're not an idiot, love. You fucked up," He shrugged, "Everyone fucks up now and again. It doesn't make you stupid. It makes you human." He took my hands back into his and squeezed them tightly. "I make mistakes almost daily. My job, it's a hard one to have. People are always constantly lookin' for me to fuck up. And when I do, I hear about it until the next time I fuck up. So if anyone knows about making mistakes, it's me."

He let go of my hands and lit another cigarette, deeply inhaling the tobacco and letting it out with a sigh. "Look, what I'm tryin' to say here is that, sure, you fucked up. You slept with an incredibly attractive, charming, intellige—" I playfully hit his arm causing him to take my hands into his once more before finishing.

"I'm jokin' I'm jokin'." He smiled amused at my reaction. "Look, you fucked up. It happens. It's not the end of the world. It doesn't make you a shitty person. I find you quite lovely." His smile was so genuine it made my heart leap.

"I just didn't ever want him to find out.. I love him, you know?" I noted his slight flinch when I said the last part. Or maybe I imagined it. At this point who fucking knows.

"So he found out and he's pissed now?" He looked off towards the crashing waves,  finishing his cigarette and putting it out.

"He hasn't found out yet. But he's going to now." I stop, realizing he doesn't have any clue what is going on or the reason behind this dinner date. His face is screwed up into a puzzled look and he cocks his head to the side.

"Now? What do you mean? Are you tellin' him or somethin'?" He questioned.

"No, I um—" I stopped speaking because honestly I had no idea what to say. I looked back down at my hands again unsure of what to do next.

"Hey, ah ah don't do that. Look at me." He placed his fingers under my chin tipping my head to look at him. "If you're not tellin' him then how's he going to find out?" I could feel the tears welling up again and I begged them not to spill over. I've already cried too many times in front of this man.