Chapter seventeen

The rain poured down against the windows of our villa. The dark sky lit up every so often and the crack of the thunder rolled over us. It had been almost a week since our wedding and this is how the weather had been since we had arrived. When I pictured my honeymoon on the beach, I pictured it with warm sand and the hot tropical sun beating down over me.

I pulled the soft pink blanket I had wrapped myself in closer to my chin and looked out the rain streaked window. I didn't mind the rain as much anymore. It was almost calming now. I may not be doing all of the fun in the sun activities that I had initially planned but the loads of cuddled up deep thinking had done wonders for my stress and anxiety.

Trevor and I spent most of the days playing board games like checkers and monopoly. We quickly realized that if we wanted to stay married longer then the ten days we were here, monopoly was out of the question. That game could destroy families. We cuddled and binge watched our favorite Netflix shows, snacking on unnecessary amounts of junk food.

In the evenings we did what most any newly married couple locked in a private villa with nothing better to do would do and then we would fall asleep planning what we would do the next day when the sun was supposed to be out, only to wake up to more rain the next day.

It rained the entire ten days we were on the island. From the time we set foot off of the plane. Most people would be annoyed that it had ruined their beach vacation and trust me, I was not a happy camper the first couple of days we were there but slowly I found it more and more peaceful and it gave me tons of time to just relax and let my body recover from the hectic past year and even more hectic past four months.

As we boarded our flight on the day we left for home, we took our seats and got settled in for the long trip home. I lifted the window covering to watch the rain fall as we took off but I was met with sunshine. The rain had finally stopped and I frowned. "It's so sunny out now." Trevor leaned over looking out the window next to me. "Yea, of course it is. I knew that would happen." He shook his head and laughed.

I closed the window and leaned my head against the seat continuing to pout. "Hey, what's wrong? You sad to be going home?" He put his arm around me and pulled my head over onto him. "No I'm sad that it stopped raining." I crossed my arms and cuddled myself into him. "What? You hate the rain. Why would you be upset?" I closed my eyes and nestled myself further into his chest. "The rain makes me think about you."

He craned his neck to look down at me. "Me? Why does it make you think about me?" I leaned up resting back in my seat normally again. "Really? You don't know?" He shook his head, clearly confused by my statement. "It's rained on every special occasion I can think of for us." He lifted his eyebrow and motioned for me to continue.

"It rained on the day we met. I remember it because it was pounding down on the roof of the library as you were talking to me." He looked deep in thought and then nodded his head. "Yea, and when I remember I ran to my car that afternoon and I ended up stepping in a huge mud puddle because I watched as your car drove past me."

"I didn't know that."

"Yea, it was so pretty embarrassing, I was just glad that you were only paying attention to that donut you were eating."

My mouth dropped open, "What donut?"

"Oh you remember that donut. You ate it with such passion. Like you've never had one before."

I slapped at him and laughed, "shut
up."

"So when else has it been raining?"

I thought back over some of the fondest memories I have, trying to choose the next one in order.