Chapter nine

I smoothed my hands over the bottom of my coral romper, stopping to pick at a loose thread before laying back onto the bed and resting my eyes. Sleep had been hard to come by the past few nights and the impending doom of tonight's dinner had creeped its way into my stomach making itself a home.

My sister, who had also had trouble sleeping due to the anxiety of this meeting, stood facing the full length mirror nestled on her bedroom wall between two hanging plants. She carefully examined her fourth outfit of the evening, pulling and tugging at the hemlines before groaning and stripping out of the look.

"I'm just not gonna go, Angela. I can't do this. Y'all just go without me and tell me how it goes." The strong southern accent came out in full force when she was flirty or nervous and I think that romance was the furthest thing from her mind at the moment.

I sat up on the bed, watching her change into yet another outfit. This one was a sky blue halter sundress with pink and yellow flowers scattered across the flowing fabric. It fit to her curves well and the tones paired with her skin beautifully.

"That's the one. It gorgeous." I assured her.

She took another long look at herself, her hands moving to her belly. She wasn't showing just yet, it was more of a bloat if anything. She was naturally so small, nobody was going to be able to tell anyway.

"Do you really think so?" She turned to me her hands clasped in front of her. "I really just want everything to go smoothly and when he tells me that he doesn't want the baby I want him to see what he's givin' up on, ya know?" She forced a small laugh and then sat on the bed beside of me.

"Now what makes you think he's not gonna want this baby? He liked you remember? Left you his number and everything." I grabbed her hands and squeezed them reassuringly.

When she looked up at me, her eyes threatened to ruin the makeup that she worked so hard on earlier but she nodded. I smiled brightly and stood pulling her up off of the bed with me and walked over to her closet.

"Look, we're gonna put on our best heels, throw on some lipstick and go own this shit, alright? Don't be nervous. You're gonna walk into that room and his jaw is gonna hit the floor. He's going to remember how well y'all vibed and you're going to hit it off all over again. Promise."

I gave her my best smile and handed her a pair of nude heels before going to touch up my lipstick. I gave myself a once over adjusting the straps of my outfit and decide that it is what it is. We're going through with this and I need to woman up and admit my mistakes to Louis and hope that he doesn't throw me out of his house.

I stop at the little bar cart my sister has set up in her living room and pour myself a shot of the light liquor, swiftly taking it back. Just a little something to take the edge off.

"I really wish I could do that right about now." My sister laughs as she walks up behind me grabbing her purse and heading for the door.

"I can take another one if you'd like?" I joke, holding up the bottle.

"Nah, I think that got us into enough trouble the last time." She giggles and points down to her belly.

"Ahh, you right." I sit the bottle back into its place and follow my sister out to the door. My phone buzzes in my hand and I stop to check it.

Louis:
Can't wait to see you.

———————————————————

It was 6:43 exactly when we pulled up to the address that Louis had texted me earlier in the day. I pushed the code he had also sent into the gate and it opened slowly, gaining us access to the property.