Chapter 1

General warning: this story contains a few swearwords and deep thoughts and inner conflicts. Nothing too bad though.

It was a rather sunny and unbearably hot late afternoon in Asgard. Not a lot was happening in the palace, much to the disdain of Loki. He certainly didn't mind the temperature, but the boredom was killing him and slowly nagging at his mind. Just a couple days ago he had been let out of prison once again and he hoped it was for good this time. He hated the place.

Every time he just slightly misbehaved, Odin would have him locked up for weeks, sometimes even months. Every opportunity was used to get him out of the way. But today, he was free at last. It was becoming rather a boring game between them.

Thor was, like pretty much everyone else, busy with all the important stuff nobody would let Loki even come close to. Not that he would care... Always the outsider, he was left to mind his own business, which he gladly did.

Thus he was only strolling through the palace, lost in his own thoughts. The rage he had felt all day about the despicable pack that was his family was slowly going back to a normal disdain.

He was just crossing a hallway with a large balcony when he stopped still in his track. Something had caught his eye and he turned to look at the balcony.

There, lying on the railing, was a person. Loki frowned. It was a girl with her arms crossed under her head, gazing up into the clouds. With quick steps he walked out onto the balcony, already preparing for a conflict. She was not supposed to be there, he knew everyone in the palace. And he had absolutely no idea who she was.

As soon as he came in close enough to see her more clearly, she suddenly turned her face to him. Those green eyes... A lazy smirk appeared on her lips mere seconds before she sat up and pushed herself off the railing and into the beginning sunset.

Loki stood there wide eyed for a second, but then hurried to the railing. Nothing. She had simply vanished into thin air. Or she had shattered on the ground far below, but Loki highly doubted it.

Confused, he decided to let it slide and returned to his brooding. But over the course of the day and the next few he was sure to see her from time to time. Green eyes gazing at him from the shadows, or her small silhouette lounging about in the corners of the palace.

Later the same week, Loki had been strolling through the gardens for the whole day and once night fell upon the kingdom, he made his way to the kitchen. His family didn't bother to call him to dinner anymore, since he had never before joined them. He avoided contact with them as much as possible. Only Thor had cared enough to tell the servants to leave some food for Loki in the kitchen, which made Loki, admittedly, care a little more for his brother than for the others in return.

As he went to retrieve his meal, his mind wandered back to the girl from the balcony. How had she done that? Just vanishing... He believed that to be something only he was truly capable of.

As soon as he entered the kitchen, he noticed that he was not alone.

"Do you realize that intruding is a crime? So is stealing food from the royal kitchen..." He said while scanning the dark room out of the corners of his eyes. A slight smile played on his lips.

"It's only a crime if I get caught..." A sweet voice answered. Loki could hear the smile in her voice, but he had yet to make out where she was.

"Well, I have been arrested for less." He laughed, slowly walking from one wall of the room to the other. "Have you found what you are looking for?"

A short moment of silence followed, but then an empty plate slid towards Loki on the grand table in the middle of the room.

"Have you indeed?" She chuckled.

"That was my food." Loki said with a chill in his voice. It bothered him that someone was taking what was his. But the girl, this riddle of who she was and where she came from, it fascinated him beyond measure.

"I beg your pardon, dear sir." She said, sarcasm dripping from every word.

"Why do you steal food? Why are you in the palace?" Loki finally asked, ignoring her previous comment.

"Why are you?" She smiled. "Sneaking into the kitchen late at night?"

"Don't you know who I am?" He asked, slowly getting more and more amused by the way she was talking to him.

"I know many things, my dear sir, but indeed, why do I need to know who you are? Isn't it far more interesting to know what you are? How you are? Why you are?"

Loki frowned, curiosity flashing in his eyes as he finally spotted her form in the darkness of the kitchen. "Why don't you stop playing games with me and tell me who you are?"

Her voice was sweet when she responded, but full of passion. "But life wouldn't be fun without games, don't you think?"

Loki froze in his movements, a huge grin appearing on his face. "Indeed. Very well..."

He watched her shadowy form wander from the wall on the other side of the room towards the open window front.

"Well, I guess I will see you soon." He said with a smirk once she had reached the windows.

"What makes you so sure I will come back?" She responded with the same smirk upon her lips, turning around to face Loki. Standing there, a mere inch from the edge, where the floor met the open air.

"What makes you so sure I won't have the guards arrest you when you do?" Loki whispered, but whether she could hear him he did not know.

Then, she let herself fall backwards into the night.

Loki did not even bother checking where she went. Maybe she just had a thing for letting herself fall from a mile above the ground.

Shaking his head, he headed back towards his chambers, unable to drop the smile that had manifested itself upon his lips. His dinner plans were long forgotten.

That night, he did not sleep at all.

__________________

A.N.: Hey everybody! I hope you enjoyed the first part of this story! I will update it regularly and I hope you guys stay with me :) I would love to hear your thoughts on this, so comment away! Hugs, K.