Chapter 2

A.N.: Thank you everybody who decided to join me on this ride :)

Warnings: Just kinda confused and torn Loki

From then on, Loki was more attentive towards his surroundings. He knew he should not try to find the girl again. And yet he so desperately wanted to. To solve this mystery that had found its way into his dull life. This whole situation had thrown him into deep conflict with himself and his initial curiosity was slowly turning into anger.

He had always hated himself, that was no secret. But now that he wanted nothing more than to find this girl, he hated himself even more. It was a distraction, nothing more. He had more important plans to attend to! But he was just so intrigued and fascinated and... Could not bring his mind to shut up about her. For that, it made him hate her as well.

His days he spent brooding in the most shadowy places of the palace and its surroundings. At night he would aimlessly wander the halls and corridors and somehow he would always end up back at the kitchen. Though now, he was always alone in the darkness.

The tenth night after their little chat, he once more came to collect his meal. But as he looked down onto the well-laid table, he sighed and rolled his eyes. By all the nine realms, what was happening to him?! Slowly he turned on his heels and locked the kitchen door from the inside. Then he opened a window and finally used his magic to bring himself back to his room. A few hours later he returned, finding the plate empty and neatly washed up. He unlocked the door and left the kitchen. Then, finally, his mind allowed him to think of other things once more. The first time in two weeks.

He continued this procedure for another week, all the while torturing himself mentally. She was a small fly and he the spider in his web. And still, he set the table for her.

It appeared to him to be so wrong, everything he had been doing lately. Thinking about her. About their talk. And giving her a direct invitation to steal his food. Also, he hadn't eaten all that much himself. It all was utterly stupid. But then, why did he continue to do it anyway?

Every time he saw another soul during his walks through the palace, they would always jump out of his way. Almost no one wanted to deal with him and the rest despised him nonetheless. His mood had gotten so bad, a rumor had started that he was up to some sinister things once more. Others said he had finally gone mad once and for all. But everyone had somehow collectively decided to avoid him even more than before.

Honestly, it didn't bother Loki much, he was way more concerned about his own behavior.

After another week, he had finally regained control over his mind. The incident in the kitchen was pushed back to the darkest corner of his mind. She was no more than another face he had once upon a time laid eyes upon.

That was when he decided to take a walk through the palace garden late at night. The night was seemingly the only time he left his chambers these days. It allowed him to avoid the curious views from the lowly peasants.

The further away he walked from the palace, the better he felt. Once he reached his destination, he sighed. Two trees, in perfect symmetry. From the outside, there was nothing that could have given away his secret. He smiled and walked on between the two trees. The landscape changed and he found himself standing on a clearing with a lovely natural pool, surrounded by large rocks.

This had been his hideaway all throughout his childhood. A picture perfect little place, securely hidden by as many delusions as his magic as a child would allow him. Of course, he had come back and changed a few things, making it even more uninviting for any strange or hostile views.