Chapter 10

Warning: still a little violence

He brought them back to the hidden opening in the forest and let Ivy lead the way through the boulder. The sun had started to rise, but it was still rather dark in the little opening. Once they took place on Ivy's blanket camp, she sighed tiredly and laid on her back, facing the fading stars. Loki followed her example, crossing his arms under his head. He didn't regret coming back here, nor coming back to Ivy. He had been foolish to believe that he could leave and never think of her again and expect the same of her. Life didn't work like that. Maybe he would have known that if he hadn't solely cared for his own sake for the last millenia or so.

"Loki?" She asked quietly, yet not looking at him.

"Yes?" He was still not sure whether he should allow himself to feel what he did for her, but he knew now for sure that whether or not his feelings deserved a title, they were already changing him. But was that so bad? They could be friends after all. Yes, Loki would be a friend to Ivy. He didn't quite know how to work that, but for her he would figure it out.

"Why did you really leave?" Her voice was quiet and soft and he couldn't help himself but tell her the truth. Half of it at least.

"Because I'm dangerous, Ivy, I mean harm to anyone who dares to come close to me. I could kill you in an instant and not feel remorse at all." He breathed. There have been so many times his reason had abandoned him to be alone with the darkness what lurked beneath the surface of a pretty face and flattering eloquence. Ready to strike whoever was unfortunate enough to be close to him.

"What do you think now?"

"I think that just the same might be true for you. I saw what you did there and I just... wow."

"I wish you hadn't seen that." Ivy rested her head on an elbow now, looking at Loki who merely turned his head towards her. "I wish you hadn't seen the monster that I am."

Loki smiled, a sad, bitter smile which made Ivy's heart drop. He wanted to tell her that she isn't the monster, but he is... that she was the most extraordinary person he had ever met indeed. That he cared about her. That there were many pretty women in the nine realms, beautiful creatures of elegance and pride, but never in a million lifetimes there was someone with a more beautiful mind than hers. ButLoki didn't say any of it.

"I think you should sleep now." He spoke calmly instead and rose to his feet.

"So you can run off again?" She frowned sadly, but she knew he was right. She needed to sleep, her body felt drained, weak and shivery.

Loki thought about lecturing her about how she couldn't tell him what to do, and how he was a prince, a god, and how no one could restrain him from whatever he felt like doing. But he couldn't. "I will be here when you wake up. I promise."

"I hope so, for your own sake! Next time you go I won't be following." With that Ivy turned her back towards him and rolled herself into the blanket. She had made enough stupid decisions for one day. And she had certainly done enough damage.

Once Loki was sure Ivy was sleeping he was gone once more, away from her as far as possible. He needed a plan.

The sound of thunder startled Ivy and a second later she felt the first raindrops hit her skin. She felt dizzy and everything around her was too dark. Then it started pouring down onto her. On the opening there was no shelter anywhere around. She stumbled to her feet and took in the darkness that surrounded her.

Suddenly, when a lightning made the opening as bright as day, she saw Loki standing a few feet in front of her. His back was facing her and her feet carried her over to him involuntarily. Once she stood right in front of him, another lightning struck. He was covered in blood, dark and thick and all over him. A grin so wicked and evil played on his face that she felt her blood freeze. Darkness again. "I'm so sorry..." He whispered, confusing Ivy even more than she already was. "What..?" She breathed. Lightning. She could see his face had completely changed, and his wide eyes were filled with tears and horror. Ivy gasped. Darkness.